What's new

How To Upgrade Jailbroken Verizon IPhone 4 from 4.2.6 to 5.1.1

jsaffer

Reaction score
I have a jailbroken Verizon IPhone 4 with firmware version 4.2.6 on it. I'd like to upgrade to 5.1.1, but NOT upgrade to 6.0. I have installed TinyUmbrella and have the 5.1.1 shsh file saved to my computer's hard drive. I also have downloaded from some website a file called iPhone3,3_5.1_9B176_Restore.ipsw, which is supposed to be the 5.1.1 firmware. When I'm in ITunes and do a "shift-update" or "shift-restore," and choose the .ipsw file, I end up getting an ITunes error message towards the end of the process each time. I thought about doing a factory-restore, but I'm wary of ITunes updating my firmware automatically to 6.0, which I don't want to happen since, as far as I can see, there is no untethered jailbreak yet for 6.0. From what I've read on the Net, ITunes will automatically update my firmware to 6.0 if I do a restore.

Can folks please give me a step by step description of how I can complete this upgrade to 5.1.1? I think I might have to unjailbreak my phone first (maybe that's what's causing the error message) but I'm not sure. If I do have to unjailbreak, the only way I found to do that is to do a factory restore, which, again, I'd rather not do because of the risk of 6.0 being installed automatically.

Thanks for the help on this!

Jason

Please post just once per issue,thank you.