What's new

iPhone FW 4.0.2

mkrowkis

Reaction score
Apple released new firmware 4.0.2 for the iPhone today! It's main feature is to fix the hole found in Safari that allowed JB an iPhone possible. I'm enjoying a JB iPhone4 so I don't plan on updating till 4.0.2 is JBable. My question is, if things were to go wrong in my iPhone4 and i need to reset and restore, would i be able to put FW 4.0.1 without any problems?

I only ask because I also have an iPad that had FW 3.2 and JB but had to restore my iPad to FW 3.2.1. People told me that I had to upgrade to 3.2.1 because I failed to backup my SSH and something else. Lucky for me, a week later iPad FW 3.2.1 was jailbreakable :)

Has Apple incorporated this new security measure into all their iDevices? It seems to communicate with Apple upon restore and forces you to install the latest FW.

Last edited:
You won't have a jailbreak with 4.0.2... Even if it does let you update it won't allow a restore without removing your jailbreak.

well if you have the 4.0.1 you can option+restore or shift+restore on pc and put 4.0.1 and it will work

my i4 is jailbroke, can i up date to 4.0.2 ? will it hurt my phone?

it wont hurt your phone but you will lose jailbreak. thats not really hurting the phone though

same situation happened to me

I had a #gs jailbroken and unlocked....well one day it just wouldnt turn on.

Had to go in to DFU mode and everything

I had to update to iOS4, then about 3 weeks later the jailbreak was available.

im almost certain there will always be a jailbreak for the iphone OS

I believe apple stopped signing 4.0.1 today so if you haven't saved your blobs then you won't be able to restore.

It's only a matter of time before we get a working Pwnage tool for the iP4. We will just have to be patient

oh so thats how they stop you using that firmware. eventually you have to restore and you wont be able to restore to older fw.. apple really what to lock down the iphone. whats their problem

I'm just glad FW updates are done via iTunes. Can you imagine if Apple got smart and incorporated Over the Air updates so that they'd know the device is running the latest FW? That would be a pain but i'm sure the hackers would find a way around it. Hope i just didn't give Apple any ideas!!! :-(

I'm just glad FW updates are done via iTunes. Can you imagine if Apple got smart and incorporated Over the Air updates so that they'd know the device is running the latest FW? That would be a pain but i'm sure the hackers would find a way around it. Hope i just didn't give Apple any ideas!!! :-(

ppl have reported being able to upgrade over the air via itunes. i never managed to though

you can bypass apple signing on your iOS version

its involves editing a host file....a lot easier than it sounds.

I know this because I do it quite often

Ok can you tell me how to do this? I have an iphone4 with 4.0.2 that I need to downgrade to 4.0.1 so I can jailbreak so I can unlock.

Your help will be greatly appreciated!

Jscean

Ok can you tell me how to do this? I have an iphone4 with 4.0.2 that I need to downgrade to 4.0.1 so I can jailbreak so I can unlock.

Your help will be greatly appreciated!

Jscean

If your Iphone4 does not have its SHSH files stored on Cydia you cannot downgrade to 4.0.1, Apple stopped signing it earlier this week, this means when you try to restore your phone even If you have a 4.0.1 firmware file apple wont let you install it. It will insist on installing 4.0.2.

Here is the how to If you have your ShSh saved with Cydia, If not no editing of your host file is going to help...

Downgrade iOS 4.0.2 to 4.0.1 for iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS | jailbreak