What's new

iPhone 4S batery life after 5.1 update

What does "Traffic" do? I always turn it off. The only things I keep on are:
"Call Network Search". That's it.
You don't need Call Network Search unless you're in an area without AT&T towers. Jumping from AT&T to AT&T towers is automatic even with that Location Serv turned off. Traffic helps in the Map software. If u don't use maps then turn that one off too.
And why you guys get those phone to use it for calling only or to have the full experience of smart phones ?
I don't use my phone for just calling. I use it in a full smartphone experience. There's just several things in the Location Services that are more about "being spied on from satellites" than it is about a true smartphone experience. And they're battery killers.

Last edited:
pianoman said:
You don't need Call Network Search unless you're in an area without AT&T towers. Jumping from AT&T to AT&T towers is automatic even with that Location Serv turned off. Traffic helps in the Map software. If u don't use maps then turn that one off too.
I don't use my phone for just calling. I use it in a full smartphone experience. There's just several things in the Location Services that are more about "being spied on from satellites" than it is about a true smartphone experience. And they're battery killers.

Oh okay,,.....but I'm on Verizon. I'm assumng the same goes tho....hopefully.

Yeah I had figured cell network search was essential, is it not ?Ah okay nvm didnt see this page lol hopefully I can go without it ! So if the towers switch automatically, is it only for traveling where you're carrier may not have service ?

Last edited:
Yeah I had figured cell network search was essential, is it not ?Ah okay nvm didnt see this page lol hopefully I can go without it ! So if the towers switch automatically, is it only for traveling where you're carrier may not have service ?
Yes. That's how I understand it. I have that button off and I've never had loss of towers ever. Even traveling up and down the east coast of US on AT&T.

After 5.0.1 my battery life has gone down hill, lite usage today, my day started at at 100%, by 2:30 I was down to 32% and the phone sat on the desk or in my pocket all day. This is just crazy!!!!

samfox said:
After 5.0.1 my battery life has gone down hill, lite usage today, my day started at at 100%, by 2:30 I was down to 32% and the phone sat on the desk or in my pocket all day. This is just crazy!!!!

You did recalibrate your battery after updating before making the assumption that iOS 5.1 has poor battery life right?

samfox said:
Ok??? How is that done? Power cycle of the battery?

Charge to 100%

Let drain as low as you can before it powers off. (I go to 5-2%). You must not plug it in at all or the calibration does not work.

Let drain then charge back to 100%, leaving it charge for a good 2 hours after it reaches 100%.

It was my understanding the it's how Maps gets it's info to report traffic to other users. I guess if everyone has it turned off, we might not get accurate traffic info, LOL!
I have had every one of my system services turned off since iOS 5 came out and have not noticed any difference in my phone's ability to perform correctly.

Damn I think after I updated my 4s gotten better on battery but that's just me. Is this good?

chadx9 said:
Damn I think after I updated my 4s gotten better on battery but that's just me. Is this good?

It's not everyone. You only do this if your battery drains faster than normal. If your battery is good, then don't worry about it really.