What's new

IPhone 4 IOS5 Post Tethered Jailbreak Question

randco

Reaction score
I have a Verizon IPhone 4 that I previously jailbroke and it was untethered. I have recently upgraded to the IOS5 and jailbroke the phone again using Redsnow and it is a tethered jailbreak. My questions are about when the phone has to be tethered to the laptop to be rebooted through Redsnow. Do you have to do it every time to download something from Cydia to apply the tweak, app, theme or change? Do you only have to have the phone tethered when you power down the phone from time to time? I rarely turned the phone off in the past and this is my first tethered jailbreak. Thanks for any input and help. This forum has taught me several things and the members have always been there to help.

There are only a few Cydia app installs which will force a reboot, so once you have the core components done you should be fine. You only need to tethered boot when the phone needs a full reboot or is turned off for some reason (running out of battery is the usual one).

The two things to install to get the reboots out of the way are any tweak that uses Mobile Substrate (SBSettings is a good one to pick) and then Winterboard. Install these both at once when you first jailbreak and you should be good to go for a while without rebooting again or a while.

The majority of other apps and tweaks from Cydia just require a respring which does not require you to re-run redsn0w.

Hope that helps.