What's new

Tethered Jailbreak Versus Untethered Jailbreak

iphonefanno1

Reaction score
The is post will answer the following questions:

* Every time i reboot my iPhone i have to jailbreak my iPhone again?
* When i reboot my iphone i lose my jailbreak?
* What is tethered jailbreak?
* Does my iPhone have tethered Jailbreak or untethered Jailbreak?
* Can i get untethered jailbreak on my iphone?
* What iPhone must have tethered jailbreak?
* Where can i find my iBoot version?
* Where can i find my Bootrom Version?

The simplest way to describe tethered jailbreak is once you jailbreak your iPhone with Blackra1n or Redsn0w, every time you need to reboot your iPhone or in case you lose charge on your iPhone, you will have to connect your iphone to the computer and run Blackra1n or Redsn0w again, otherwise you will lose your jailbreak. Blackra1n or Redsn0w do not re jailbreak or restore your iPhone it simply help you boot your iphone without losing your jailbreak.

So other than the inconvenience of having to connect your iphone to the computer and run Blackra1n or Redsn0w every time your iphone dies or reboots, its pretty much like an untethered jailbreak.

Tethered jailbreak only applies to specific 3GS & 4 models, the tethered jailbreak only applies to iPhone 3GS with the new bootrom version 359.3.2, but its does not apply to the old bootrom version for the iPhone 3GS which is 359.3 so if you have the old bootrom you’re fine and you don’t have to worry about connecting your iphone to itunes every time it reboots or dies.

There are many ways of checking what bootrom version do you currently have on your iPhone:

* Locate the serial number for your iphone from settings>general>about and check, if the 3d, 4th,5th numbers of the serial numbers are 939 or lower then that’s mean you have the old bootrom version which is good you do not need tethered jailbreak, but if the digits 940 or higher then your iphone have the new bootrom and you will need tethered jailbreak.
* Another way you can find out what bootrom you have on your iPhone is:
o Put your iPhone into DFU Mode.
o Right Click on my Computer>properties>hardware>device manager
o Click on the plus arrow for “Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller”
o Find “Apple Mobile Device USB Driver”, right click and select Properties
o Go to “Details” and find “Device Instance ID”
o Scroll through the string and find the bootrom version (iBoot) If it’s 359.3 you DO NOT require a tethered jailbreak. If it’s 359.3.2 you DO require a tethered jailbreak.

This Post was taking from unlocker.ws