What's new

IOS 7 is a conglomeration of jailbreak tweaks.

I was simply making a point, that there is a good reason why more and more power users are getting fed up with apple, and are jumping ship

Most of your opinions are based in half facts and a perception that isn't tempered by actual experience. But that one sentence above is based on complete ignorance. So let me enlighten you with some questions that you should actually research before you speak on the subject matter again.

1) How many iOS devices have been sold since 2007?

2) How many power users are there?

3) What percentage do the power users make up of the total user base?

4) If every single power user switched to Android, what percentage of sales would be lost by Apple?

Going to give you a hint on this, since I am feeling generous today. The last two questions percentage wise are less than 3%. But for FUN lets use a fantastical number of 5%! Reference material: Apple - Press Info - Apple Reports Second Quarter Results

Last quarter's net profit was $11.6 billion. Lets say Apple lost 10% of that because power users buy more than one device a quarter (highly unlikely but again I am being generous). That would adjust it to $10.5 billion of net profit.

Yeah, power users is where the money is at. Apple should absolutely cater to this user base. It makes PERFECT business sense!

Apple is successful because they don't cater to power users. Android has tried to do that. 18 APIs, 16+ screen resolutions, 6 CPUs, 6 GPUs and more malware than you can shake a stick at and look what it got them. Developers that are moving to Apple because that is where the real money is at. Users that are stuck on versions of Android that are three years old because the manufactures won't upgrade their phones. And devices that barely last two years because of some of the worst quality control the industry has ever seen.

Personally if every power user left iOS I would be the first person to throw a party. Because then the real user base could start voicing their opinions and Apple could start making real progress based on that valuable input.

My wife spent 2+ years on Android before getting the 4S and now the 5. She gave it a good fair shot - on cheap and nice Android devices - though still nothing like we have today. The iPhone suits her needs - good pics, simple to use, never causes her any issues... she's never looked back, and trust me, I've tried to tempt her with the latest/greatest Android devices! ;) The fact of the matter is iOS stays out of your way more than Android. For me, anyway, Android is an endless draw of customizations distracting me from what's most important in my life (I know that doesn't apply to everybody). I'm definitely a power user... so if I'm sitting around with some idle time - or rather, procrastinating something - my Android device is just begging to be tinkered with. Not so on iOS... jailbreaking simply hasn't sucked me in like Android has.

Anyway, my poorly elaborated point is that a lot of people don't care about being "in control" of their smartphones - as long as they do what they're supposed to and provide a smooth, reliable experience without any hassle, most people are perfectly happy, and iOS is the best at doing that. And trust me, I've exhausted the Android world (and still love it), so I'm most definitely speaking from experience on this one! ;)

jntdroid is spot on.

Android is the combination of a playground, candy store and toy store. There is always one more thing to play with. Always one more tweak to try. One more ounce of battery life to achieve. But even Android isn't enough for some users believe it or not.

iOS is simply there to support the tools or games the user wants to use. In fact iOS is the quintessential "this is perfect for my needs".

jntdroid is spot on.

Android is the combination of a playground, candy store and toy store. There is always one more thing to play with. Always one more tweak to try. One more ounce of battery life to achieve. But even Android isn't enough for some users believe it or not.

iOS is simply there to support the tools or games the user wants to use. In fact iOS is the quintessential "this is perfect for my needs".

Case in point: OverClocking 101 :)

That thread will always haunt me.... LOL!!!! It's hard to believe that thread is now 3 years old and that it was closed on the very day I switched to iOS.

And yes, those were the good ole days. When almost nothing was documented, everyone had an opinion and no one had any facts to back them up. So many good people contributed so much to that thread. Including you sir. :D

That thread will always haunt me.... LOL!!!! It's hard to believe that thread is now 3 years old and that it was closed on the very day I switched to iOS.

And yes, those were the good ole days. When almost nothing was documented, everyone had an opinion and no one had any facts to back them up. So many good people contributed so much to that thread. Including you sir. :D

lol... #cvpcs for life!

FWIW I'm still a bit sucked into that world... currently sitting on the 5 and a S4 and need to ditch one of them... just because it's silly to have them both. But the S4's gorgeous screen and awesome camera have made that difficult!

Last edited:
lol... #cvpcs for life!

Going to start calling you Mr. Nostalgic soon. LOL!

For those of you that weren't part of the Android ROM scene, jntdroid (supermod on our Android sister forum) and myself used to be very heavily involved with custom ROM building together. Over the two and half years I was involved with Android, I was a consultant for three different ROM makers. And the IRC channel for #cvpcs and his Sapphire ROM was my last one before retiring from Android. My limited usefulness was due to my experience with overclocking and that fact that I had actually read more than 80% of the Android CPU/Kernel code base. Which gave me some insight in how to tweak and optimize things.

And that is what makes Android so great (yes you just read that correctly). Even someone like me can take apart Android, rewrite parts of it and then build the ROM to try it out. No other smartphone allows that with such ease.

jntdroid (supermod on our Android sister forum) and myself used to be very heavily involved with custom ROM building together.

Just for full disclosure's sake and to ensure you're not mixing me up with someone else from the channel - I never built a darn thing... :)

I hung out in #cvpcs and contributed where I could from a testing standpoint, and obviously contributed a lot at DF - but if you'll recall, y'all had to actually teach me what it meant to build "from source" back then, so by no means was I integral in actually building anything... but do have a pretty good understanding of how Android works from top to bottom! And if I remember right (and if it helps you remember), you live just south of me... :)

Just for full disclosure's sake and to ensure you're not mixing me up with someone else from the channel - I never built a darn thing... :)

I hung out in #cvpcs and contributed where I could from a testing standpoint, and obviously contributed a lot at DF - but if you'll recall, y'all had to actually teach me what it meant to build "from source" back then, so by no means was I integral in actually building anything... but do have a pretty good understanding of how Android works from top to bottom! And if I remember right (and if it helps you remember), you live just south of me... :)

Testing, building. Same difference! It was a lot of work back then.

And yes, for a little bit longer you still live just a stones throw away. Sadly, the new company I work for is relocating me sometime in the next 3 to 9 months.

Testing, building. Same difference! It was a lot of work back then.

And yes, for a little bit longer you still live just a stones throw away. Sadly, the new company I work for is relocating me sometime in the next 3 to 9 months.

Ah, too bad - hopefully to a nice area though...