What's new

IOS 7 is a conglomeration of jailbreak tweaks.

musiclover77

Reaction score
I think Apple should quit fighting against the jailbreak community and work with them, seeing as how said community is driving most of the innovation with their mobile os. There are very few new features in the new os that did not already exist in the jailbreak community. If I were Apple I would take note of this fact, but of course, I'm not.

I agree with you 100%:. It apear that Apple stopped innovating and got to copy other people work. I bet there will be patents comming for Apple for that.

Well, you could look at it that way, or you could say the JB Tweaks were just a step ahead perhaps. Apple isn't really copying the JB tweaks, it's just finally putting some things on the phone that really would have been nice to have earlier. JB guys didn't invent those tweaks in most cases, they copied things that other phones and systems had for the most part.

just my opinion of course.

Well, you could look at it that way, or you could say the JB Tweaks were just a step ahead perhaps. Apple isn't really copying the JB tweaks, it's just finally putting some things on the phone that really would have been nice to have earlier. JB guys didn't invent those tweaks in most cases, they copied things that other phones and systems had for the most part.

just my opinion of course.

Totally agree with you...

No.. There is a steady history of Apple implementing jailbreak tweaks into their OS, and seven is no exception. After looking in depth at this latest release, I can say that it is definitely more of a catch up than a blaze ahead version of IOS. There is literally not a single new feature that is not already avail in other platforms or within the jailbreak community. Nada. Unfortunately, there are still a host of features avail on other platforms that have yet to be implemented into IOS. This is all i am saying. Apple would be smart to embrace the jailbreak community, as they add a ton of value to their product, and tend to do most of their innovating for them these days. I know a lot of geeks, including myself who would not go own an iPhone without the jailbreak option.

They do embrace the jailbreak community in some ways.

They use some jailbreak like features throughout their updates, they've hired dev's in the jailbreak community (comex is probably the most noteable).

They don't allow jailbreaking of course, but I can see why. Wouldn't make me too happy if a group of people tried to make my product used differently as intended, and I can see why jailbreaking creates certain security issues, but the choice is there for us! Which I typically choose to jailbreak. iOS 7 may be the first time I choose to pass on a jailbreak.

Jailbreaking improves the product. Simply put, it empowers the consumer, and gives them full control of their device. If you own it, you should be allowed root access, period. I don't abide by the philosophy that in order to protect consumers, we have to control their level of privilege within their system, dictating what they can and cannot do. This is the antithesis of freedom, and believe it or not, people really like freedom. For the avg person it makes sense to bundle the phone with limited priv, sure, but the power user should be encouraged to buy your product as well and not shunned. The power user is your friend, especially when they innovate for you. Google seems to be the only company that gets this anymore, and it is no coincidence that they are gobbling up market share. While it is true, that it is safer in the bubble, you are only half alive while you are there.

Last edited:
Jailbreaking improves the product. Simply put, it empowers the consumer, and gives them full control of their device. If you own it, you should be allowed root access, period. I don't abide by the philosophy that in order to protect consumers, we have to control their level of privilege within their system, dictating what they can and cannot do. This is the antithesis of freedom, and believe it or not, people really like freedom. For the avg person it makes sense to bundle the phone with limited priv, sure, but the power user should be encouraged to by your product as well and not shunned. The power user is your friend, especially when they innovate for you. Google seems to be the only company that gets this anymore, and it is no coincidence that they are gobbling up market share. While it is true, that it is safer in the bubble, you are only half alive while you are there.

Half alive? Lol.

Really man, it's just a piece of technology. ;)

It's not like the iPhone's are being shoved down folks throats. People have options. If they want Android, they can have it. If they want iOS, that's an option too. There's even blackberry and windows. All OPTIONS.

Also, most people that demand root access are savy enough to shop around and realize Android is the OS tailored to their needs. If they purchase an iPhone and expect root access, then they weren't as savy as they thought.

Any who, point being, the iPhone was designed to just work. It's been said over and over, but it's true. It's a damn good device and does what it's advertised to do. It holds its value and it gets at least 3 years of software support from Apple. I don't believe any other company offers that. I know google said something about 18 months of software support for devices...

That being said, Android devices are good for what they're built for. Being customizable and having some root access. Yes that's right, some. You still have to Root your device and install custom Roms for most Android devices to be truly 100% customizable.

Any who, I've made my point. People have their freedom. They have the option to buy whatever tech they choose to fit their needs. Whether they want an iPhone and realize they'll have to accept it for what the device is, and wait for jailbreak exploits to have root access, or just simply go with another product. That simple.

I agree with everything you said. Main difference with android though is that the company isn't trying to discourage root. Heck, they even let root specific apps reside in their play store, that make it simple for the avg user to accomplish. They work with the super users if you will. And yes, I know for the most part the consumer has freedom to go Apple, windows, android, blackberry etc. I was simply making a point, that there is a good reason why more and more power users are getting fed up with apple, and are jumping ship. My point, and you are free to disagree, is that Apple needs to quit working against the jailbreak community, killing root access every 3rd IOS upgrade, and recognize that this is a very valuable part of their user base that it would be a shame to lose. That is my only point, and you are of course free to disagree.

I agree with everything you said. Main difference with android though is that the company isn't trying to discourage root. Heck, they even let root specific apps reside in their play store, that make it simple for the avg user to accomplish. They work with the super users if you will. And yes, I know for the most part the consumer has freedom to go Apple, windows, android, blackberry etc. I was simply making a point, that there is a good reason why more and more power users are getting fed up with apple, and are jumping ship. My point, and you are free to disagree, is that Apple needs to quit working against the jailbreak community, killing root access every 3rd IOS upgrade, and recognize that this is a very valuable part of their user base that it would be a shame to lose. That is my only point, and you are of course free to disagree.

You're right in saying google doesn't mind rooting. I won't argue with that at all. The manufacturers and carriers are a different story though. ;)
Which is true for Jailbroken iPhones of course.

I'm not disagreeing with the fact that an Apple supported Cydia being available stock on an iPhone would be really really nice. I wouldn't disagree with that at all. It'd also be nice if Apple offered a "root access" Version of their iOS devices too, or a root access option in the settings menu. I just doubt they will...

iOS 7 did bring a lot of jailbreak like functionality to iDevices. I won't argue that. I even posted an article here somewhere discussing it. Wait, here it is! http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/i...ngs-apple-borrowed-jailbreak-community-57826/

Now, in saying that, I've been an avid jail breaker since I first purchased my iPhone 4 CDMA version back in February of 2011. I mainly jailbroke for iBlacklist, SBsettings, and biteSMS. iOS 7 eliminates two of the gripes I had with iOS. Control center is a very welcome addition IMO, and the call/SMS/MMS/email blocking app is very welcome in my book also.
True multitasking is nice to have as well.

It doesn't seem like any biteSMS features will be added in iOS 7 as of yet unfortunately. Which we're still on beta 2, so Apple could throw us a curve ball. Never know with them.

Any who, I'm rambling now. Lol.
I'm not really positive of a mass movement from iOS to the Android OS. I've seen movement to both sides "Screw Apple! I'm moving to Android for the customization!" "I'm sick of Android, I just want a device that works and doesn't randomly crash" you get the point. ;)

I believe both OS's will be around for a good while, that is, until another company comes up with something truly innovative and completely different...

I'd welcome a root access iDevice, but I'd be ok with the fact it may never come to light. The iPhone works great for my needs and it works flawlessly with my Apple Ecosystem I have at my home. Some of the connectivity I have has become essential to me and I wouldn't want to do without it. Believe me, I've tried. I grabbed a Galaxy S4 at the beginning of the month and that lasted a whole 3 days until I ran back to Verizon and swapped it for an iP5.

I can live without customization, root access, and 5" screens. I use my MacBook Pro, or my Gaming PC (windows 8 installed) I built earlier this year for real productivity.

It works for me and I believe it works for everyone who buys into this ecosystem and stays.

So, to sum it up, I agree with you in some ways. A stock root access iDevice would be nice, but I don't believe it's entirely necessary and I don't believe that'll end phenomenal iDevice sales anytime soon.

Thanks for reading this long winded post. :p

Jailbreaking improves the product. Simply put, it empowers the consumer, and gives them full control of their device. If you own it, you should be allowed root access, period. I don't abide by the philosophy that in order to protect consumers, we have to control their level of privilege within their system, dictating what they can and cannot do. This is the antithesis of freedom, and believe it or not, people really like freedom. For the avg person it makes sense to bundle the phone with limited priv, sure, but the power user should be encouraged to by your product as well and not shunned. The power user is your friend, especially when they innovate for you. Google seems to be the only company that gets this anymore, and it is no coincidence that they are gobbling up market share. While it is true, that it is safer in the bubble, you are only half alive while you are there.

Half alive...??...say what!

I'm fully alive and kicking and using a stock iPhone 5 and am very satisfied. :)

Last edited:
It depends on what the user is looking for. If you're used to being spoil from jailbreaking, then jailbreaking is a must. But then you have the simple users that are happy with the stock features and actually favors a stock iOS' simplicity. I wouldn't be surprised that some time down the line, that Cydia would come with the stock iOS and that there'd be a separate package or something for developers to be able to develop for both Cydia and iOS. Maybe not Cydia specifically but something of the sort approved by Apple that allows for tweaks and mods

Sent from my iPhone via Tapatalk

I have never equated myself as a "simple" user because of liking the "simplicity" of a stock iOS. I use both iPhone and iPad using stock and it allows me to do all my tasks as I can without any struggle. It's perfect the way it is for me, but I certainly wouldn't categorize those using stock as simple. LoL ;).

Well no not like that, more towards just using the iOS as it is, not saying that the stock iOS itself is simple. The stock iOS itself covers a fairly wide base as is, so it's already effective. Jailbreaking is just adding the frosting on the cake

Sent from my iPhone via Tapatalk

Interesting thing is, i helped my old man jailbreak his phone, because i thought with a combo of bitesms, jelly lock, and password pilot he would find his phone much simpler to use. I was right.