What's new

A few things Apple borrowed from the Jailbreak Community

Darkstar2007

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've been running the beta for almost a day now, and I've come to realize a lot of the newest features remind me of jailbreak tweaks/apps that've been in Cydia for ages. Which just makes me overjoyed tbh. I can honestly see no reason as to why I would want to jailbreak now.

I jailbroke for these reasons:
iBlacklist
SB settings

That's it. That's all I really cared about. Well, Apple added call, iMessage, FaceTime, SMS/MMS blocking.
Then they also added control center,
Which has every toggle you could need available, plus music player options.

Multi-tasking and just everything has changed.

This is honestly, the very first time I've been excited about an Apple product since I've gotten my hands on the iPhone 4 when it released...

I wish iOS 7 would've been released with the iPhone 5, but that's fine. It's here now! Sir Jony Ive and his team really did a fine job on this iOS!!

Check this article out. It'll explain the jailbreak like features more in depth:

http://modmyi.com/content/11194-sev...d-jailbreak-community-comments2.html#comments

What do y'all think? :)

This is sort of tongue in cheek but also very true.

They also borrowed the battery life from jailbreaks.

iOS 7 drains the battery almost three times faster than iOS 6.1.4 based on just 6 hours of usage today.

I remember SBSettings and it was the one thing I missed on the iPhone 5. The control center is going to get a lot of use on my iDevices.

The control center implements the toggles better than SBSettings ever did. That's another thing I'm happy about. :)

I'm not big on theming, so a jailbreak is just simply not plausible to me anymore. I'm glad I don't feel the need to care about jailbreaks any longer!

I'm sure control center will be used by everyone! It's such a simple thing, but I wouldn't wanna do without it!

AirDrop is another thing I'm tickled pink about. Encrypted file transfers between devices via Bluetooth and WiFi. I've wanted this for a long time as well. Finally, it's here. I just hope most of the dev's will be able to implement it at launch. :)

I have the feeling this iOS is gonna be really hard to update to right at first (Massive server traffic).
They're gonna get pounded. ;)

iOS 7 drains the battery almost three times faster than iOS 6.1.4 based on just 6 hours of usage today.

Yes it does. My iPhone 4 can't handle it. I got almost two hours of usage with this first beta...

It's really gonna be a lot of round the clock work to get this released on time without the major bugs it has now... :(

Not to mention the iPad beta is still MIA

Keeping in mind my usage is very light during the day, I've noticed practically no difference... obviously we're talking a less than 24 hour sample, but so far my battery life seems minimally affected, if at all, by the upgrade. For whatever that may or may not be worth... :)

I have the feeling this iOS is gonna be really hard to update to right at first (Massive server traffic).
They're gonna get pounded. ;)

Yeah, and I'm hoping Apple will foresee this and take steps to minimize the server impact. Might be a good idea for me to upgrade during a favorite movie or something to take my mind off the fact that this upgrade might take a while - I have several iDevices.

The dev servers crashed last night while I was trying to update. Sadly it happened right when my iPhone 5 was trying to verify I could run iOS 7. Phone was locked for just about an hour till I finally got thru.

Will do a deep cycle battery drain tonight to see if the issue is bad data in the battery table from iOS 6, that iOS 7 doesn't know my batteries upper and lower limits or that there is a reproducable issue.

After 36 hours or so now I'll retract my last comment. It's not horrible, but the battery is definitely draining faster than before.

This is sort of tongue in cheek but also very true. They also borrowed the battery life from jailbreaks. iOS 7 drains the battery almost three times faster than iOS 6.1.4 based on just 6 hours of usage today.
My battery went from 100% to 20% in just over 2 hours, while browsing the web in iOS 7. I expect the next several beta releases to keep improving the battery performance.

I am seeing CPU usage averages of 53% when nothing is going on. So there is no optimization in this beta for the new multitasking daemon. And battery life for now will be between 30 to 50% of normal/expected.

I am seeing CPU usage averages of 53% when nothing is going on. So there is no optimization in this beta for the new multitasking daemon. And battery life for now will be between 30 to 50% of normal/expected.
Here's a screenshot I made when the only app running was the system status app. $image-3152740846.jpg.

$image-1289223761.jpg The second screenshot was made just after I took the first screenshot.

The dev servers crashed last night while I was trying to update. Sadly it happened right when my iPhone 5 was trying to verify I could run iOS 7. Phone was locked for just about an hour till I finally got thru.

Will do a deep cycle battery drain tonight to see if the issue is bad data in the battery table from iOS 6, that iOS 7 doesn't know my batteries upper and lower limits or that there is a reproducable issue.

I just did the deep cycle battery drain, and my iPhone went into low power shutdown when the battery meter said 10%. I'll see how accurate the battery meter is on the next discharge cycle.

Last edited: