What's new

ios 5.1.1 has been released!

Gregoris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Today apple has released a new firmware (5.1.1) this contains mainly bug fixes as I am sure that apple is leaving all major ios updates to be announced at the WWDC next month 11th-15th June but for now those of you who rely on jailbreaking or unlocking then stay away for now until the devs can find more about the os and if the vulnerabilities found by pod2g still exist in the newer firmware.

519682a8.jpg
93fd5d74.jpg

WOW! This one did not go thru any beta testing. I check the iOS Developer site weekly.

SO glad to see they fixed the "Unable to Purchase" bug. That one was rather annoying.

Should have it installed in next few minutes since it is rather small.

yeah its a minor update so quick to install and probably needed no testing.. though I never noticed them bugs in 5.1.

Yeah I did the upgrade to 5.1.1 and it only took 5 minutes tops.

From my  iPhone 4S 16GB Black

yeah its a minor update so quick to install and probably needed no testing.. though I never noticed them bugs in 5.1.
I updated my ipad but should i hold off from updating my 4s if im thinking of jail breaking?

The AirPlay video playback hang up bug has been driving me crazy. Often takes 15 minutes to play video on AppleTV. Very frustrating. I thought it was just because of the high resolution of 1080p video that was making it lag. Now it seems to have been a bug. But I'll still wait to upgrade 4S.

I never noticed any bugs in 5.1 but I installed 5.1.1 as soon as I saw it on my phone. Thanks, Apple!

I updated my ipad but should i hold off from updating my 4s if im thinking of jail breaking?

Good question. I finally decided a couple weeks ago to upgrade to 5.1 since I wasn't really using the features of my JB, and of course now I want it back.

Good question. I finally decided a couple weeks ago to upgrade to 5.1 since I wasn't really using the features of my JB, and of course now I want it back.
That's a very good point. I follow the jailbreak devs on Twitter and one of them tweeted that we shouldn't upgrade to 5.1.1 if we are waiting for the 5.1 jailbreak on 4S. Just F.Y.I.

I'm assuming that the reasoning behind this is that Apple may have changed something that the devs have already tweaked and they may have to start all over for the 5.1.1 upgrade. So, they aren't going to drop the 5.1 jailbreak this late in the game and begin working on a JB for 5.1.1.

Upgraded both my wife and my phone to 5.1.1 and all I can really say with certainty is the Battery Life is affected. I seem to be draining pretty rapidly even with the screen off and the phone basically in Standby. So now I'm looking for a way to go back to 5.1

Normally my method for updating anything is to wait a week or so and see what everybody else says. Since I'm new to the IOS world I figured I'll just do it since its Apple. LOL

kizer said:
Upgraded both my wife and my phone to 5.1.1 and all I can really say with certainty is the Battery Life is affected. I seem to be draining pretty rapidly even with the screen off and the phone basically in Standby. So now I'm looking for a way to go back to 5.1

Normally my method for updating anything is to wait a week or so and see what everybody else says. Since I'm new to the IOS world I figured I'll just do it since its Apple. LOL

Hold the Standby and Home buttons down at the same time and wait till the white Apple appears. Let go of the buttons. This will force a full restart of the OS and probably clean up the issue you are experiencing.

5.1.1 is full of bugs but the biggest is the call handling. After upgrade , all calls start with the speakerphone active and it takes a few prods to get it turned off. The standby button used to lock the screen keeping the call active, now it kills the call. This was useful so as to not mute or FaceTime with your ear during a call. The home button does take you to the home screen but still can take you into other apps mid call and some apps cut you off.

Even after a full restart, battery life is short lived.

iOS5.1.1 may be ok for 9" pads but not for phones ! Testing is required however small the changes ! Accurate release notes would be useful too !

essexpcdoctor said:
5.1.1 is full of bugs but the biggest is the call handling. After upgrade , all calls start with the speakerphone active and it takes a few prods to get it turned off. The standby button used to lock the screen keeping the call active, now it kills the call. This was useful so as to not mute or FaceTime with your ear during a call. The home button does take you to the home screen but still can take you into other apps mid call and some apps cut you off.

Even after a full restart, battery life is short lived.

iOS5.1.1 may be ok for 9" pads but not for phones ! Testing is required however small the changes ! Accurate release notes would be useful too !

I have none of those issues.