What's new

ios 5.1.1 has been released!

Neither do I. I never have issues with my iPhone 4. Love it! But I am patiently waiting for the new iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

essexpcdoctor said:
5.1.1 is full of bugs but the biggest is the call handling. After upgrade , all calls start with the speakerphone active and it takes a few prods to get it turned off. The standby button used to lock the screen keeping the call active, now it kills the call. This was useful so as to not mute or FaceTime with your ear during a call. The home button does take you to the home screen but still can take you into other apps mid call and some apps cut you off.

Even after a full restart, battery life is short lived.

iOS5.1.1 may be ok for 9" pads but not for phones ! Testing is required however small the changes ! Accurate release notes would be useful too !

Those are all settings issues on your end. And battery life hasn't changed. 5.1.1 is just as stable as 5.1 and 5.0.1.

pod2g @pod2g
4m
  • ·More
iPhone 4S 5.1.1 confirmed to work perfect with the upcoming jailbreak

so it seems its safe to upgrade to 5.1.1 for now those of you who have held off upgrading.

Upgraded both my wife and my phone to 5.1.1 and all I can really say with certainty is the Battery Life is affected. I seem to be draining pretty rapidly even with the screen off and the phone basically in Standby. So now I'm looking for a way to go back to 5.1

Normally my method for updating anything is to wait a week or so and see what everybody else says. Since I'm new to the IOS world I figured I'll just do it since its Apple. LOL

A couple of days running this a few reboots my phone seems to be running just as awesome as it did with 5.1
Go figure. I open my mouth and insert foot. LOL

i hate upgrading because i'll just start it all over again i hate it...im good with my 5.0.1 and i have too much stuff to be upgrading for nothing...

Skull one, please tell me where the settings are to set the behaviour for the standby button in a call, as I've not found it yet. The speaker issue for a call was resolved by performing a hard reboot , upgrade and restore. Battery usage is average 20% higher than previous release based on stats captured using monitoring tools from the app store. I also have another iphone4 same spec and not upgraded, so I can compare like for like.

Don't get me wrong, I like my iPhone, but as an IT professional of many years, I am not happy to sit back and let a good product go bad and I think most iPhone users feel the same way.

essexpcdoctor said:
Skull one, please tell me where the settings are to set the behaviour for the standby button in a call, as I've not found it yet. The speaker issue for a call was resolved by performing a hard reboot , upgrade and restore. Battery usage is average 20% higher than previous release based on stats captured using monitoring tools from the app store. I also have another iphone4 same spec and not upgraded, so I can compare like for like.

Don't get me wrong, I like my iPhone, but as an IT professional of many years, I am not happy to sit back and let a good product go bad and I think most iPhone users feel the same way.

My work phone has 5.1.1 and I can still hit the stand by button and turn off the screen and remain in the call. I haven't seen a setting for this either. I think it's just part of iOS. I could be wrong though.

Reading into the iPhone knowledge base and manuals, in-call handling is dependent on a number of factors. A proximity sensor ( I think this is also the forward facing camera) should lock the screen during a call since v4 of iOS, but this somewhat random, the standby button has varying uses during calls. You can send a call to voicemail with a short press, or drop the call with a longer press. I've now had some practise and can lock the screen during a call with a very short press of the standby button on 5.1.1. It looks like the timing / sensitivity may have been tweaked as I never had this issue before the upgrade or have this on the other iphone. I'm not arthritic so it's a bit odd ! Thanks for all the feedback, convinced me to persevere. 😃

essexpcdoctor said:
Reading into the iPhone knowledge base and manuals, in-call handling is dependent on a number of factors. A proximity sensor ( I think this is also the forward facing camera) should lock the screen during a call since v4 of iOS, but this somewhat random, the standby button has varying uses during calls. You can send a call to voicemail with a short press, or drop the call with a longer press. I've now had some practise and can lock the screen during a call with a very short press of the standby button on 5.1.1. It looks like the timing / sensitivity may have been tweaked as I never had this issue before the upgrade or have this on the other iphone. I'm not arthritic so it's a bit odd ! Thanks for all the feedback, convinced me to persevere. dde03

Yeah. I usually just give it a quick press. Come to think of it. That's how I press it all the time. Even to silence the ringer. I missed that feature so much when I had my Droid X. Haha.

If I update to 5.1.1, will I lose the unlock? I unlocked directly with AT&T, via IMEI.

If I update to 5.1.1, will I lose the unlock? I unlocked directly with AT&T, via IMEI.

if you unlocked officially via ATT then you can upgrade all you want and your device wont lock up again, the warning is only for people who unofficially unlocked with jailbreak and ultrasn0w or other unlocking methods other then the official one, Do you jailbreak?

Adyhooper said:
This iOS 5.1.1 update only for the GSM version of iPhone, iPad. iOS 5.1.1 can be downloaded from the iTune or over-the-air on compatible iDevices. This update offers HDR option for image taken by the Lock Screen shortcut. This updatinf process increase reliability for syncing Safari bookmarks and reading list.

Lol. ..........