What's new

Installed latest version of redsn0w, now what?

SomeDude

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I tried jailbreaking my 3Gs a few months ago and never did, too busy at work etc. I just installed the latest version of redsn0w and loaded it up, the little pineapple icon has loaded all the software. The phone shut down and restarted, now what do I have to do? I forget and I'm under a bit of a time-crunch here. Help?

time crunch? what are you trying to achieve that you are in a hurry to do so?

But cydia should now be on your screen so load that and download what ever you need to

I'm not understanding your question, have you successfully JB the iPhone and ready to explore cydia? Or you are stuck somewhere with the JB process?

Just trying to get the phone jailbroken for now, I can start making alterations later. I work nights and want to get his done before I have to sack-out.

Ok, I installed cydia and the phone shut down and restarted. Isn't there something else I have to do now? Don't I have to reboot the phone again, or something like that?

Ok, I installed cydia and the phone shut down and restarted. Isn't there something else I have to do now? Don't I have to reboot the phone again, or something like that?

After the phone reboot and you see a new icon labeled Cydia then it means that the JB went successfully.

no you do not have to do anything, just make sure when you jailbreak its an un tethered jailbreak.. what you are thinking of is a tethered jailbreak where you have to re jailbreak the device every time you reboot it.

but you have cydia loaded so just open it and you can browse the files/tweaks and there is a lot of good ones to chose from, did you have anything in specific in mind you wanted to download or have on your device?

Yes the icon is there, I don't have to reboot again? with the previous version of software I did.

Ah you are thinking about tether JB. You certainly just did an untether JB, so you are good to go, you can turn off the device and turn it on without connecting it to your computer from now going on. You were previously having a tether JB, now you are having an untether JB

Thank you all for the help, it's much appreciated. I'm still a neophyte when it comes to this, there are only a few things I'd like to change on the phone. 1) I have a sound effect I'd like to use for the ringtone. 2) I'd like to alter the colors of the fonts/screens/backgrounds of the contacts, texts etc. so they aren't bright white at night. Any tips?

Thank you all for the help, it's much appreciated. I'm still a neophyte when it comes to this, there are only a few things I'd like to change on the phone. 1) I have a sound effect I'd like to use for the ringtone. 2) I'd like to alter the colors of the fonts/screens/backgrounds of the contacts, texts etc. so they aren't bright white at night. Any tips?

AnyRing app in cydia use to be good to set ringtones however, i do not know if it's working well on ios 5.0.1 well or not. As for the fonts, background stuff, I will leave it to those who've already experienced it to input. Good luck.