What's new

Information wanted

antainso

Reaction score
I was informed from a friend that if an iPhone with iOS 7 or higher is sold to someone that it may require an iCloud password from the original owner so that it can be used by the new owner.

Could someone please let me know if this is true as I want to purchase a 5S and don't want it to be an expensive paper weight.

Thanks in advance

I was informed from a friend that if an iPhone with iOS 7 or higher is sold to someone that it may require an iCloud password from the original owner so that it can be used by the new owner.

Could someone please let me know if this is true as I want to purchase a 5S and don't want it to be an expensive paper weight.

Thanks in advance

No, this is not true. The seller simply needs to turn off "Find My iPhone" (Settings > Privacy > Location Services > Find My iPhone), and then restore the phone to factory settings (Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings), and then the buyer needs nothing further from the seller. The issue is with the Find My iPhone app, it needs to be turned off by the seller. If not, then the buyer will need the password.

I just sold my iPad 4, so I have experience with this.

Last edited:
iMessage must also be turned off before transferring from the old owner to the new. There's been major issues with iMessage when it was not turned off.

So if all of those things are done i wont have any issues?

You shouldn't have any issues. Keep in mind that you're placing a certain amount of trust in the honesty of the seller.

Yeah thats what im worried about

You might go to one of your local carriers and see if they have a time pay plan. Some carriers have implemented a plan whereby you can buy a new iPhone and pay for the device in monthly payments over a year - that's how I bought my iPhone 5 and iPad 4. I'm not sure if that type of thing is available in Australia, but it never hurts to ask. If that fails, you might think about the benefits of saving up and buying a new device; such as warranty, device condition, etc. And, you don't need to worry about whether or not Find my iPhone was turned off.

Nah theres nothing like that. iPhones are a lot more expensive here than they are in the US. Thats why its cheaper to buy second hand. But not always the smartest choice either. You need to hope the other party is honest.

No, this is not true. The seller simply needs to turn off "Find My iPhone" (Settings > Privacy > Location Services > Find My iPhone), and then restore the phone to factory settings (Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings), and then the buyer needs nothing further from the seller. The issue is with the Find My iPhone app, it needs to be turned off by the seller. If not, then the buyer will need the password.

I just sold my iPad 4, so I have experience with this.

The seller needs to unregistered the device from their Apple ID.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk 2