What's new

Incorporate RingTones into standard RingTones section.

bab2010

Reaction score
EDIT: note that despite the fact diskAid can access system files on both jailbreak and non jailbreak phone, disAid will not be able to access the desire root directory folder of the ringtones on a non jailbreaked phone. Read bellow the how to if your device is jailbreaked.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1304483773.681884.jpg
The procedure is very simple and will take you about 5mn to get it done, there is no need to JailBreak or so, but u will need to be able to SSH into your device.
Tools you will need are
1- computer.
2- itunes with musics on it.
3- diskaid.
4- iDevice.
5- iDevice USB cable

1.) open your itunes, right clic on the song you want to add as a ringtones, in the drop list select "create AAC Version" the created AAC version will be right under the original version on which you've right clic.
2.) right clic on the AAC version and in the drop list select "copy" go to your desktop and paste it there.
3.) change the extention of the song you just paste on your desktop from .m4a to .m4r
4.) close itunes and connect your iDevice to your computer. Open up diskAid.
5.) inside diskAid select "root folder" from the left panel, it will display another panel near by, navigate to var> stash> Ringtones.
6.) double clic on ringtones folder to open it, you will see many standard ringtones in there
7.) drag and drop your modified RingTone from your desktop to the opened ringtones folder.
8.) close diskAid and disconect your iDevice from yoir computer.
9.) on your iDevice, go to settings> sounds> Ringtone. There u will find your new added ringtone in the standard section.
10.) select your new added ringtone and exit settings and you are good to go.
This simple methods remove restrictions with the length of your ringtones. In addition, itunes will never be able to unsync them away from your phone, it doesn't matter if you connect it to a new computer or itunes or what so ever.

To remove your added ringtones from the standard section, connect your phone to your computer, open up disAid. Inside diskAid select "root folder" from the left panel, it will display another panel near by, navigate to var> stash> Ringtones. Double click on Ringtones folder, locate your added ringtone, select it and on top ringht coner of disAid you will see the button with label "delete from device" click on that button to delete the ringtone from your device.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Nice guide.

I didn't think you were able to access the root folder without jailbreaking...?

very good guide... and this way the ringtones can be over 30 seconds, saves having to edit all the mp3s and make them under 30 seconds... but Gaz has a point you have to be jailbroken

all my ringtones are well over 30 secs, to my knowledge you need to be jailbroken as well. i use audicity to trim ringtones and make them louder!!! and 4 media converter to convert them into an m4a, then you rename to m4r.

When u use diskAid you can ssh into any device, jailbreaked or not. U can read about diskAid on their web site.

Last edited:
Nice guide.

Yes i access the root having my phone jailbreak, but it doesn't matter if you use "DISKAID" you jailbreak or not, you can access your root folder. Read about diskAid on their website please.

Nice guide.

Yes i access the root having my phone jailbreak, but it doesn't matter if you use "DISKAID" you jailbreak or not, you can access your root folder. Read about diskAid on their website please.

I used disk aid a while back on my 3G before discovering SSH. It worked great for letting you use the phone as a mass storage device however, to my memory, you were unable to access most of the phones file system (including the root folder) unless you were jailbroken. I could be wrong and it may have changed now as this was in the days of iOS 3.

I'll double check for myself tonight as I was planning to upgrade to 4.3.2 anyway. If I'm wrong you will have my apologies...

Actually u guys are right, i'm the one reading too faster on the software website, you are right about non jailbreak could only access media files but not root file. My bad.... :( thanks for correcting my mistake

Last edited:
Actually u guys are right, i'm the one reading too faster on the software website, you are right about non jailbreak could only access media files but not root file. My bad.... :( thanks for correcting my mistake

No worries...