What's new

How to Jailbreak and unlock a Iphone 3GS with IOS 5.0/5.0.1

Outrider

Reaction score
This is a how to for the Iphone 3GS with IOS 5.0/5.0.1 and Basebands 04.26.08, 05.11.07, 05.12.01, 05.13.04, 6.15.00 ONLY!!!!
I am not an expert so I can't answer your questions if you have anything else.

Being a Newb, I spent many hours trying to figure out the process for jailbreaking and unlocking my Iphone
3GS. I had to read endless how to's and forum threads and I noticed that there were many of you folks out there not
having any luck and not getting your questions answered.

So for all of you, here is how I did it.

1.Download sn0wbreeze-v2.8b11 here http://ih8sn0w.com/
2.Download IPSW 5.0.1 Build 9A405 here http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/i...ple-ios-firmware-download-links-iphone-17213/
3.(optional) Download Forecast v1.3 This program retrieves your S/N, baseband and other info from your phone. Phone must be turned on.
Put these in a organized forlder on your desktop for easy access

Let's get started...
-Run Snowbreeze
-Choose browse and locate the IPSW 5.0 or 5.0.1 file you downloaded. I used 5.0.1
-next step is choose bootrom, click "detect it for me", if you have old bootrom that's great, if new bootrom then it's going
to be a tethered jailbreak. I don't recomend a thethered jailbreak.

-This process requires you to be in DFU mode so just follow the onscreen instructions and proceed. There is a tutorial on how
to do this on this forum. If you know you have the old bootrom then
choose old bootrom then click next

-now choose "General" then next

-check off Activate the iphone(Hacktivate) then click next

-check off "install 6.15 ipad baseband" if you want to flash the ipad 6.15.00 baseband then click expert mode. There will be warnings
about flashing the 6.15 baseband so pay attention and quit if you don't want to proceed with it. You only want to use the ipad baseband
if you don't have any of the other basebands listed, do not check box if you have basebands 04.26.08, 05.11.07, 05.12.01, 05.13.04 then click next

-just click next again if you want the snowflake boot logo

-click next to skip the next step, since I don't really understand it

-now click "build ispw" then next

This will take a while, once it's complete there will be instructions to what to do next but here they are anyway

-Put your phone in DFU mode and start Itunes

-in Itunes hold shift on your keyboard and click restore then locate your custom sn0wbreeze IPSW which should be on your desktop.

After this is over, your iphone should be jailbroken

Once your phone is up and running you will find an app on your screen called CYDIA, start is and go to "search"
Type ultrasn0w, install it and follow instructions.
Now you phone should be Free as a bird!!!!
P.S My GPS still works, not sure what people mean when they say you will lose your GPS. It still locates me in maps.

Last edited:
From what I can tell there is no sn0wbreeze-v2.8b11 for Mac...

I have a 3Gs that is jailbroken with custom 5.0.1 firmware and baseband
04.26.08-6.4_M3S2.

I updated from 4.3.1, same baseband and unlocked with ultrasn0w but not I can't activate cause it says the sim card is invalid and my phone has no service.

Any help is appreciated.

You must create a custom ipsw then install through iTunes. Snowbreeze has a setting to check off to get past activation screens. Redsnow didn't work for me, couldn't get past activation.

To hacktivate with redsn0w you just jailbreak. Sn0wbreeze creates a pre-jailbroken firmware, whereas Redsn0w just removes the baseband update from a stock firmware.

I had already used Redsn0w to create the custom firmware, so I tried re-jailbreaking with Redsn0w, but this did not activate the phone. It left me right where I was before. I was using redsn0w_0.9.9b9d, but maybe the newly released redsn0w_0.9.10b1 (http://blog.iphone-dev.org) will.

Anyways, they also released a new version of PwnageTool (5.0.1) and this includes an "activate" check box option. I used PwnageTool to create a new custom firmware, but the DFU option in PwnageTool never seems to work for me so I used redsn0w_0.9.10b1 to enter into pwned DFU and then restored in iTunes with the new PwnageTool built firmware. Somewhere in the process Itunes came up with an error saying that my iphone was not eligible for this build or something like that, but after I reset my iphone it was instantly recognized by iTunes as having already been activated (even though there was no SIM card in it) and asked if I'd like to restore from a previous backup. After that I just installed the new version of Ultrasn0w and was good to go.

Jmills87 said:
To hacktivate with redsn0w you just jailbreak. Sn0wbreeze creates a pre-jailbroken firmware, whereas Redsn0w just removes the baseband update from a stock firmware.

HEY I NEED HELP UNLOCKING MY IPHONE 4 iOS 04.08.11. 5.0.1 FOR CYDIA HELP NEW 2 THIS !!

CRICKS said:
HEY I NEED HELP UNLOCKING MY IPHONE 4 iOS 04.08.11. 5.0.1 FOR CYDIA HELP NEW 2 THIS !!

Hi hun, unfortunately there is no unlock for baseband 4.08,11 and you cannot downgrade it either. You can only use your device as an ipod for now and hope that they will soon come out with an unlock.

Hi All,
I have a 2008 iphone 3GS, which i brought here to India to use. I now do not have the original AT&T SIM to activate my phone....BAD mistake
I have been trying to unlock my 3GS for 3 days now.
I am on a mac, and used redsn0w(0.9.10b3).
The problem is that redsn0w disappears while tying to "Fetch ipad baseband" leaving me nowhere.

Right now I have an iphone 3GS that is on iOS 5.0.1 that i can jailbreak, but cannot get it past the activation screens. Very frustrating !!!!

appreciate help and suggestions.

thanks.