What's new

How to get iOS 5 beta...

Status
Not open for further replies.

iGaz

Reaction score
For all those asking how to get iOS 5. There are two ways to get the iOS 5 beta on your device. iOS 5 is compatible with both versions of the iPhone 4, the 3GS, the iPad 1 and 2 and the 3rd and 4th gen iPod touch. I will tell you how but please read the whole article throughly and carefully.

*Disclaimer*

iPhoneForums.net accept no responsibility for any damage or loss of data that may occur to either your iDevice or computer when downloading, installing or running beta software. If you decide to run beta software on your iDevice without becomming a regestered developer with apple you are probably throwing away any warranty you may have.

Be aware betas aren't for everybody. If your not a developer or at least somewhat technically minded I suggest you just be paitent and wait for the public release. Due to the fact that iOS 5 is still in beta that means it is full of bugs so your iDevice generally won't work like the polished, smoothly run device you've all become used to. Personaly I've found safari quite buggy and unresponsive. Some apps don't work correctly or at all (i.e photobucket) as the beta stages are a chance for developers to get their apps running smoothly before the public release. Also alot of those great features you've been hearing about still haven't been added in yet. Wifi sync is one good example of that.

You will also need a beta version of iTunes. This could cause problems with your computer and from my experience the current iTunes beta isn't backing up my iPhone's correctly. Even the one not on iOS 5. If your worried about loosing important data like photos etc. or anything else mentioned in this post STAY AWAY! You have been warned.

So now that you all know what you are getting yourselves into, if your still thinking about it, here's how.

The first way is the easiest, safest and most simple way to get your phone running iOS 5. Become a registered developer (Dev) with apple. To get access to the betas you will need to pay the $99 for a years subscription. This will allow you to regester up to 99 devices to be able to run iOS 5 and provide you will all the tools and software you need to develop apps of you wish. It will also get you access to the Dev forums where your can get help and advice on everything. So if you've any problems with the betas then you have somewhere to go.

The second way avoids paying the $99 to apple. Although this way is not as safe or as easy. As I've already said this way will probably also void your warranty.

You will need a few things,

1. Your Unique Device Identifier (UDID). This can be found by plugging in your device to iTunes and choosing the summary page. Find where it has your serial number and click it. It will now show you your UDID.

2. A Dev willing to give up one of his 99 slots to register your UDID. If you don't know any devs then I suggest you don't go looking for one. This is one of the reasons why it's not as safe as the first method. If you find one that is willing to register your device for free then great but remember your still giving someone you've never met your devices UDID or serial number if you like. Who knows what they can do with it. If someone asks for a fee to register your device then be very aware of scammers. There will be loads out there. Don't come back to us or apple if you fall pray to one.

3. After you get your device regestered, you still need the beta versions of both iOS 5 and iTunes. Be aware the iOS is different for every device. So the CDMA iPhone will have a different firmware to the GSM one. If you know the Dev who regestered you ask them to send you them over. It you don't know the Dev who regestered you then you will need to find them yourself. This is just one more reason why this method is not as safe.

If you are a registered Dev and wish to offer your UDID slots please do so but do not ask for anything in return except a thank you. Equally we cannot post links to beta software here and any user providing them or posting directions on how to get them will receive a warning. Repeat offenders WILL BE BANNED!

Once you have your device regestered your device and have the relevant betas for your device and computer you can now upgrade via the iTunes beta. Do not try to install iOS 5 beta without regestering your iDevice. Doing so will leave you with a useless device and you will be forced to downgrade...

Last edited:
Great review and advices. And I hear that some are not even able to downgrade after upgrading. But the issue is more with iPods than iPhones, still iPhones are not completely out of that downgrading issue. Thanks for the post, I will hold on for the official release.

You should still be able to downgrade without any problems. You shouldn't even need SHSH's as apple are still signing 4.3.3 and 4.2.8. Of course it is beta testing so there is always going to be problems. I haven't tried downgrading from iOS 5 and probably won't but for some people there will be too many bugs, particularly during the early beta stages...

Has it? :D I see the OTA updates aren't working yet then :(...

yes me to! when i read on twitter that it had been released i tried to air update

Hi
i upgraded to itunes 10.5 last night and downloaded ios 5 beta 2 and installed it on my iphone 4. all my contacts/pics/alarms etc transfered over fine but none of my apps have and only about 60% of my music. itunes doesnt let me sync properley with it to transfer my apps or remaining music it just seems stuck on step 6?? i also cant itunes sync just using the iphone as it states "sync will resume when ED-TOSH is available" Any ideas? Im stumped

Hi
i upgraded to itunes 10.5 last night and downloaded ios 5 beta 2 and installed it on my iphone 4. all my contacts/pics/alarms etc transfered over fine but none of my apps have and only about 60% of my music. itunes doesnt let me sync properley with it to transfer my apps or remaining music it just seems stuck on step 6?? i also cant itunes sync just using the iphone as it states "sync will resume when ED-TOSH is available" Any ideas? Im stumped

did you authorise your computer? thats why some apps might not be installing

i have heard this problem that itunes has only let people sync purchased songs from itunes, the ones that did sync check them and did you purchase any of them from itunes the ones that did sync?

hey
thanks for taking an interest and your reply. I never had any problems with syncing apps in the past. do you think I have to reauthorise my computer again? re apps, when i go in the app store the apps id already purchased are availble to just install no price is there so its a puzzler?
it is a mixture of bought and unbought music that isnt syncing up. its very odd

Hey guys

I was 89 UDID registration slots available. I don't want to give them all out, however I don't mind giving out a couple dozen because I have no use for them and iOS 5 is amazing! I don't want any money or anything for them.

Anyhow, if your interested, message me

Cheers

'Sup everybody,this is FAQ how to upgrade iphone 3gs to iOs 5:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.