What's new

How long does the battery last with NORMAL use?

Matth3w

Reaction score
That is, texting, surfing a little web, emails (say set to check every 10 minutes) and calling throughout the day.

I see the Apple specs, and I see a bunch of people running crazy tests like running video then doing Facetime, etc, but I just want to know if my phone is going to last through a whole day.

My phone can last all day with about 40% left with a fair amount of use. Turning wifi and mobile data off when not in use greatly increases battery life...

Does the phone have some sort of profile app that you can use that you set it to a certain profile and it turns your ringer to a certain level and turns on/off wifi, etc?

For example, I have an app on my Droid X...I hit the "work" profile and it sets the ringer at a certain level, notifications at a certain level, and turns off wifi

Nope. If you jailbreak you can install sb settings which is the closest you can get to what your asking for. As for the volume there's a silent switch on the side on the fone, or you can turn it down with the volume buttons, that's it...

Yeah I will probably be jailbreaking, my iPad is jailbroken. When you hit the silent switch, does it turn it silent, or on vibrate? If on vibrate will it vibrate for EVERYTHING, or just the ringer/messages?

You can choose in the settings if you want it to vibrate or not. It vibrates on everything except alarms which don't silent...

You can choose in the settings if you want it to vibrate or not. It vibrates on everything except alarms which don't silent...

trust me, you don't want it to vibrate when the alarm goes off. Worst way to be woken up. I was terrified.

Actually I was just making sure it wouldn't silence everything (like vibrate on calls but you miss texts) or that alarms still went off so when I have to have it silent it starts blaring at an inopportune time.

Now, I had the FIRST iPhone and the vibrate function was weeeeaaaaakkkkk. But after jailbreaking I was able to go into the registry or whatever you want to call it and crank up the length and intensity of the vibrate. Can that still be done?

Mine does pretty well. I am out of the house 12 hours most days. I don't have desk job. The phone is my only access to the outside world. Don't usually play games or videos during the day. I listen to music on it a lot tho. I turn my wifi off when I leave and I have the brightness set on like 50% at all times. Pretty impressed by the battery life overall.

A typical WORK day for me would be only texting and emailing, perhaps a few minutes here or there on voice calls and internet, but mostly texting and emailing. I am in the Army and have a lot of soldiers that I need to text updates to. I send or receive probably 250+ texts a day. Most are done at one time.

Speaking of which, does the iPhone allow you to select a group of people to text? And I don't mean individually select each person then text them, I mean pick a pre-assigned group of people and then text them?

A typical WORK day for me would be only texting and emailing, perhaps a few minutes here or there on voice calls and internet, but mostly texting and emailing. I am in the Army and have a lot of soldiers that I need to text updates to. I send or receive probably 250+ texts a day. Most are done at one time.

Speaking of which, does the iPhone allow you to select a group of people to text? And I don't mean individually select each person then text them, I mean pick a pre-assigned group of people and then text them?

Yeah you can make groups. There are some other free apps too which I think handle group messaging a lot better than the standard app.

Check out the app store for iSMS, it's free. You can also make templates and stuff within it.

That is, texting, surfing a little web, emails (say set to check every 10 minutes) and calling throughout the day.

I see the Apple specs, and I see a bunch of people running crazy tests like running video then doing Facetime, etc, but I just want to know if my phone is going to last through a whole day.

Yours is a tough question, because every user is different and uses his/her phone uniquely. My two iPhone last around three days between charges (I use them lightly). I shut them off at night and keep 3G and cellular data off all the time. I close all my running apps when not in use. Yet I play game apps, make phone calls, and check Internet sites now and then. Three days is not bad, with all that!