What's new

Does the battery last longer when..

ardchoille

Reaction score
Ok, here's what I'm seeing. I plug in my iPhone 4S and unplug it when it reaches 100%. When I do this it seems that the battery percentage goes from 100% to 99% quickly. However, if I plug it in, let it reach 100% and leave it plugged in for an extra hour, then it seems to take much longer to go from 100% to 99% when I use it. Is this normal for these batteries or am I going crazy?

Not only normal, but the expect behavior. Now if you REALLY want to have fun, do the following.

1) Charge it to 100% and then wait an extra 30 mins to an hour so that Stage 4 charging finishes.
2) Play a really heavy duty 3D game on it for 20 to 30 mins while still on the charger.
3) Close the game note that the charge still shows 100%, unplug the phone and look at the charge level again.

It will be anywhere from 96% to 99% depending on a couple of variables.

Nice observation Skull.

I dont unplug my phone for at least an hour (2 if I can) after it reaches a 100% charge.

Doing this my phone always drops to 99% in 20 minutes.......heavy usage, light usage.....doesn't matter, after 20 minites it drops one percent. Then it drains pretty steadily after that it seems.

I cannot say how much my battery drains in a given time because of obvious reason, but I never seem to get any less then 8 usage.......by then I am around 20-10%.depending on how heavily I use the phone. Some days are worse then other tho.

One of these days I am going to make a timelapse video of the charging process using an external watt monitor for the iPhone 4, 4S, iPad 2 and iPad (3rd Gen). And then make the mods here make it a perm sticky thread titled "Reality check about Lithium-ion batteries, their charging rates and iOS devices". Then every time someone brings up a question about how fast they charge and how many stages they go thru I can point them to it and say "READ".

But then again, that would require me to care and take the time to set it up. Yeah, I don't see that happening any times soon :D

Skull One said:
Not only normal, but the expect behavior. Now if you REALLY want to have fun, do the following.

1) Charge it to 100% and then wait an extra 30 mins to an hour so that Stage 4 charging finishes.
2) Play a really heavy duty 3D game on it for 20 to 30 mins while still on the charger.
3) Close the game note that the charge still shows 100%, unplug the phone and look at the charge level again.

It will be anywhere from 96% to 99% depending on a couple of variables.

Thank you! I'm already getting into the habit of turning the phone off and charging it for 6 to 8 hours while I sleep. This saves on my data plan as well since I can't really interact with anything while I sleep anyway.

Thank you both for the excellent info :)

Thank you! I'm already getting into the habit of turning the phone off and charging it for 6 to 8 hours while I sleep. This saves on my data plan as well since I can't really interact with anything while I sleep anyway.

Thank you both for the excellent info :)

[tongue in cheek]

You don't have WiFi at home? How do you... How do you... Live?????

[/tongue in cheek]

Skull One said:
[tongue in cheek]

You don't have WiFi at home? How do you... How do you... Live?????

[/tongue in cheek]

Hehe, our wifi doesn't reach down to my basement apartment and the landlord won't let me switch routers. No worries, I haven't had any problems yet.

Yeah really? No wifi. Man, I hope you have unlimited data.

Plus 3G data drains your battery way faster then being connected to wifi all the time. I think wifi is the reason I have decent usage stats honestly.

zig9449 said:
Yeah really? No wifi. Man, I hope you have unlimited data.

Plus 3G data drains your battery way faster then being connected to wifi all the time. I think wifi is the reason I have decent usage stats honestly.

Well my data plan is 2GB per month. I've been using this phone hot and heavy for two weeks and haven't even reached 1GB yet (hearing impaired, no voice plan). Plus each extra GB is only 10 bucks. Using 3GB per month with his setup is still cheaper than the bills I was getting from Sprint so I'm happy. I make out like a bandit because I have no voice plan.

Last edited:
ardchoille said:
Well my data plan is 2GB per month. I've been using his phone hot and heavy for two weeks and haven't even reached 1GB yet (hearing impaired, no voice plan). Plus each extra GB is only 10 bucks. Using 3GB per month with his setup is still cheaper than the bills I was getting from Sprint so I'm happy. I make out like a bandit because I have no voice plan.

Speaking of which, if you would like to keep track of data, another Cydia tweak.lol

WeeTrackData

It is a notification center widget.

Type in your monthly data plan (which is the same as mine).

And pull down notification center and it will tell you how much data you used in a day, compared to how much you can use without going over your limit.

Like you I have a 2GB data plan. So that is 1GB per 2 weeks.

So in the settings type in 1024 MB. That is 1GB.

This show that a person with a 2GB data plan can use no more the 34.1 MB of data per day to stay under there limit.

And it is extremely easy to stay under your limit when you know exactly how much data you are using at a time. Just sayin'.

I use to go over my data all the time before I got this tweak. It made me mad, because all you have to do is go 1 friggin MB over your 2GB limit and they charge you $10 for a whole GB.

So when I got this, Leaned how to use it...I have not been over my limit since.

zig9449 said:
Speaking of which, if you would like to keep track of data, another Cydia tweak.lol

WeeTrackData

It is a notification center widget.

Type in your monthly data plan (which is the same as mine).

And pull down notification center and it will tell you how much data you used in a day, compared to how much you can use without going over your limit.

Like you I have a 2GB data plan. So that is 1GB per 2 weeks.

So in the settings type in 1024 MB. That is 1GB.

This show that a person with a 2GB data plan can use no more the 34.1 MB of data per day to stay under there limit.

And it is extremely easy to stay under your limit when you know exactly how much data you are using at a time. Just sayin'.

I use to go over my data all the time before I got this tweak. It made me mad, because all you have to do is go 1 friggin MB over your 2GB limit and they charge you $10 for a whole GB.

So when I got this, Leaned how to use it...I have not been over my limit since.

Whoa, thank you. Added to my wish list :)
I may go broke when the jb arrives, lol.

Man, I'm chomping at the bit here for untethered jailbreak on 4S with iOS 5.1!

Yeah.I have a feeling that once you jailbreak, you will never want to go back to stock. Having a stock iPhone would drive me crazy.lol