What's new

How long does the battery last with NORMAL use?

See this thread for more, perhaps scary, information:

http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/iphone-4-12/iphone-4-ios-4-2-battery-life-5422/

My iPhone 4 had done really well after a few hard resets, but is now back to its old behavior. After the reset I went 8 days without charging, but also being scared to use the darn thing. The next charge lasted two days with only minimal use (4 or 5 texts, a few short telephone calls, and no other usage. In my opinion, OS 4.2.1 made the difference in my phone. I even got them to exchange it, but the poor battery life continues. I have EVERYTHING turned off, and hardly use it except to see how fast the battery charge is dropping. I've quit using apps at all. It's really just a battery meter that I can take an occasional call on. I wish I had my old iPhone 3 back.

Sorry about your iPhone issue -- battery -- but perhaps you should just go with it. Use the phone to the fullest then charge when necessary. To fixate on battery levels is not joy. Eventually when my iPhones start exhibiting battery problems, I'll use them normally, then get new batteries from the Apple store, and just move on. Sounds like a simplistic answer, doesn't it. But just enjoy and use the phone, keep all unnecessary apps and functions OFF when not in use, and press on!

Great idea, and that's really all I've got left at this point. Thanks for the therapy!

Great idea, and that's really all I've got left at this point. Thanks for the therapy!

Yup. And that'll be $85, payable by PayPal, dude!

Seriously, just use the phone, charge, and get a new batt when the time comes.

Of course, I've got iOS version 4.1 on my Iphone (and will never upgrade!) so I'm in fine shape!!!

See this thread for more, perhaps scary, information:

http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/iphone-4-12/iphone-4-ios-4-2-battery-life-5422/

My iPhone 4 had done really well after a few hard resets, but is now back to its old behavior. After the reset I went 8 days without charging, but also being scared to use the darn thing. The next charge lasted two days with only minimal use (4 or 5 texts, a few short telephone calls, and no other usage. In my opinion, OS 4.2.1 made the difference in my phone. I even got them to exchange it, but the poor battery life continues. I have EVERYTHING turned off, and hardly use it except to see how fast the battery charge is dropping. I've quit using apps at all. It's really just a battery meter that I can take an occasional call on. I wish I had my old iPhone 3 back.

Lol sorry but I don't see what the problem is. I charge mine every night. Some days a half day and the need a charge. It's not an issue just plug it in. These things are pretty powerful and go through battery. If you want battery life maybe Nokia still has those brick phones.

Of course, I've got iOS version 4.1 on my Iphone (and will never upgrade!) so I'm in fine shape!!!

You do realise the iPhone has an internal battery and it's not that simple to change...?

The check is in the mail, honest!

I can deal with whatever the battery life of the iPhone 4 is. My problem was that on one charge it would last a week and on the next one I couldn't make it two days. Things change, I know, but not knowing how long the battery will last is worse than actually knowing that it won't last long.

I can deal with whatever the battery life of the iPhone 4 is. My problem was that on one charge it would last a week and on the next one I couldn't make it two days. Things change, I know, but not knowing how long the battery will last is worse than actually knowing that it won't last long.

I don't understand that. Mine is very predictable and I have never gone more than a day without charging. I started streaming music from my pc to phone at work tho and that kills the battery. Any kind of streaming will do that. It's pretty good other than that. I thought it would be worse. I was pricing those battery pack things. Don't need it tho.

Yup.... I know, and I assume the guy knows to send (or take) his phone to the nearest Apple Store when the time comes to change the battery.

By the way, are there Apple stores in your part of the world to go to?? Or do you have to send your hardware out by mail for service?

I've never had to change any battery on my iPhones. Even the 3G battery still lasted a full day with a fair amout of usage (just like my 4G now). I got it second hand so I don't know how old it was but I had it for around 2 years and never noticed any loss in battery life.

We do have apple stores but if I have any problems I contact my carrier. I was always having signal issues with my 3GS so the network kept sending me new ones by courier. He would take my old one off me and give me the new one. I ended up getting around 7 over the course of a year before giving up, canceling and switching networks to get the 4G...

I've never had to change any battery on my iPhones. ...

7 phones!! Wow.

Since I have you here.... let me ask: in your experience, would you recommend AGAINST turning off the iPhone nightly, or not. We have 2 iPhone 4s in our household and we turn both off every night and turn back on in the mornings. Is that a problem for the batteries, or the iOS, or anything? Any negatives? Or is it best to just leave it on 24/7 with an occasional re-boot? Thanks.

Mine is on a tethered jailbreak. I never turn mine off because of this unless I go into a place that requires it. I text more than anything, send pics, make 10- 15 calls a day or less, and use my Ipod to listen to music when driving, and I have a Speedometer app that runs as I do not have a speedo in my car. Lets say I spend 2-4 hours in the car a day. As soon as it comes out of the car all my apps go off. When I get home I need a charge, I have found it as low as 13% and in the red. Sometimes its higher like 32% or 40%.
I have never yet drained it till it goes off. If I make it to the house I will quickly plug the usb in and get some charge on it. If I need to go somewhere again, ill remove it before fully charging. When I get home at night, I leave the phone on, turn all apps off and turn the ringer down to 2 bars that way some Knucklehead dont wake me up in the deep of the night. I Use Battery Manager Pro and do a full charge cycle on once a month. I Leave my auto lock on never and when I am not using the phone I will close the screen to off display. I do this same routine daily.

I've never had to change any battery on my iPhones. ...

7 phones!! Wow.

Since I have you here.... let me ask: in your experience, would you recommend AGAINST turning off the iPhone nightly, or not. We have 2 iPhone 4s in our household and we turn both off every night and turn back on in the mornings. Is that a problem for the batteries, or the iOS, or anything? Any negatives? Or is it best to just leave it on 24/7 with an occasional re-boot? Thanks.

Every iPhone I've ever had (with the exception of my 3G) was never turned off. They were always put on charge at night switched on regardless of battery percentage. The occasional reboot does the trick...

Thanks osso... and gaz... for the inputs. I assume by your good replies that it is NOT unfavorable to turn the iPhone OFF every night.