What's new

HotSpot help on iphone4 with Verizon carrier

delosrec

Reaction score
Hello Yawls,

I would like to know if someone could educate me on how to install a Hotspot on Iphone4 with Verizon carrier and IOS5. I was told several month back that it was not working or was not reliable. I have not jail broken my phone either so i will need some assistance on this too. sorry for the inaptitude on my part

The mobile hostspot software is already installed on your phone(it comes with the iOS firmware). You can either pay Verizon $30/month to activate it, or you can jailbreak and buy a 3rd party tweak called TetherMe which will activate it for a one-time fee of $5.

Be aware that the $20 to $30 option is "legal" while you are a VZW customer and the $5 jailbreak option is not. The consequences of being caught are usually "you have to start paying". Not saying you will get caught, just be aware that is "possible".

J and skull, thank you for your quick response. Do you guys have a write up or a link on how to jailbreak and how to install TetherMe?

Thank you all for your positive feedback. Mission acomplished, However i was wondering the following.

1- Could I sync with Itunes in order to get latest music, vidoe and pics? Everytime i used to sync prior (jailbreak/tetherme) it would automatically update my phone with the biweekly software update.

2- If I sync to get my music, will I loose the jailbreak and tetherme installation?

thank you very much

Thank you all for your positive feedback. Mission acomplished, However i was wondering the following.

1- Could I sync with Itunes in order to get latest music, vidoe and pics? Everytime i used to sync prior (jailbreak/tetherme) it would automatically update my phone with the biweekly software update.

2- If I sync to get my music, will I loose the jailbreak and tetherme installation?

thank you very much

Syncing does not do anything to the firmware at all, also there is no bi-weekly update so I'm not sure what you're talking about. Software updates come out every few months or so, but syncing does not update your firmware, it just syncs the data in your iTunes library to your device.

mills87

What I meant to say is that Apple certainly provides developer builds at a regular interval and why i know, because i do them myself on a average of a two week interval before I jailbroke my phone. I am very new when it comes to jailbreaking so i have one last questions. When i get a notification of the need to update an app @ the app store, should i update or will i loose the jailbreak and any other app i got from cYdia if i try to update?

Once again, thank you very much!!!

delosrec said:
mills87

What I meant to say is that Apple certainly provides developer builds at a regular interval and why i know, because i do them myself on a average of a two week interval before I jailbroke my phone. I am very new when it comes to jailbreaking so i have one last questions. When i get a notification of the need to update an app @ the app store, should i update or will i loose the jailbreak and any other app i got from cYdia if i try to update?

Once again, thank you very much!!!

There is only *1* way to unjailbreak your device.

Just one way,..and that is to do a full restore through iTunes. The only way.

Nothing else can unjailbreak your Device.

mills87

Ok you are talking about app updates, not software updates. Like I said, you can update and sync apps freely, that does not affect the firmware whatsoever.

Jmills87 said:
Ok you are talking about app updates, not software updates. Like I said, you can update and sync apps freely, that does not affect the firmware whatsoever.

LOL.

Man I literally laughed out loud.lol.

Ok so I would actually have to disagree with Tetherme. I have unlimited data on verizon with my iphone 4s, however i didn't purchase the tethering plan. So I tried tetherme first, and it worked... for a minute. Somehow verizon saw that I was using it to tether with other devices and they disabled it... Soooo. I tried next PDANet, works like a charm. I would recommend PDANet

Ok so I would actually have to disagree with Tetherme. I have unlimited data on verizon with my iphone 4s, however i didn't purchase the tethering plan. So I tried tetherme first, and it worked... for a minute. Somehow verizon saw that I was using it to tether with other devices and they disabled it... Soooo. I tried next PDANet, works like a charm. I would recommend PDANet

What you stated is not possible. First of all, there is no way for Verizon to detect TetherMe. Secondly, even if they could detect it they would have no way to disable it(they would have to remotely connect to your device and uninstall the application and even then you could just reinstall it). The only thing that Verizon would do if they caught you tethering with a 3rd party app is they would remove your unlimited data plan and automatically start charging you for tethering. Before that happened they would send you a warning via notification. So if you didn't receive that warning, still have unlimited data and you are not being charged for tethering, then they didn't detect it.

I have been using TetherMe on Verizon since 4.X and have never had any issues with it. PDANet works fine but TetherMe is much better and easier to use.

Well I know what happened... I enabled it and it worked for 5 minutes. Then I got an in phone MSG saying that I don't have a tether plan and it disabled it from working.. I don't know what that means or exactly what happened, but that was the end result. Tell me, with tetherme, does it show the tether option under settings like it would if u paid for the option?

Well I know what happened... I enabled it and it worked for 5 minutes. Then I got an in phone MSG saying that I don't have a tether plan and it disabled it from working.. I don't know what that means or exactly what happened, but that was the end result. Tell me, with tetherme, does it show the tether option under settings like it would if u paid for the option?

Yes, TetherMe enables native tethering there are no apps.