What's new

Verizon hotspot

delosrec

Reaction score
greetings yawls,

Could some one give me some information about Verizon Hotspot.
1- how does it work
2- Is there a fee for it from carrier, how much?
3- Any feedback on how reliable has been or any experience with it?

Regards,

delosrec said:
greetings yawls,

Could some one give me some information about Verizon Hotspot.
1- how does it work
2- Is there a fee for it from carrier, how much?
3- Any feedback on how reliable has been or any experience with it?

Regards,

1. The wireless hotspot feature allows Verizon iPhone users to share their 3G internet connection over Wi-fi to up to 5 other devices, such as your laptop or iPad

2. Depending on the plan there will be a cost. Should be a extra 20 bucks a month for 2gb

3. No experience with it.

Last edited:
iCrank was right on all counts. The tethering plan is $20/month and it is 100% reliable. As long as you have reception you will be able to tether your 3G connection with any wi-fi enabled devices. Speeds will be the same as they are on your phone.

I would suggest jailbreaking and using TetherMe to enable tethering for a 1-time fee of $4.99 instead of paying a monthly tethering fee. Also, I would not suggest tethering unless you have an unlimited data plan. Tethering is a quick way to burn through your data and end up getting charged extra.

Jmills87 said:
iCrank was right on all counts. The tethering plan is $20/month and it is 100% reliable. As long as you have reception you will be able to tether your 3G connection with any wi-fi enabled devices. Speeds will be the same as they are on your phone.

I would suggest jailbreaking and using TetherMe to enable tethering for a 1-time fee of $4.99 instead of paying a monthly tethering fee. Also, I would not suggest tethering unless you have an unlimited data plan. Tethering is a quick way to burn through your data and end up getting charged extra.

+1...

thank you very much for the info....one last thing...

I have 2 iphones 4, a black and white. I activated black one a year ago and I was wondering if is possible to active the other white iphone with the same phone number through itunes. The idea is to obviously turn one off while the other one is on but be able to switch iphones when ever. I understand the need to update software on both but the functionality would be done one at a time.

Is this possible?

As long as they're GSM iPhones that should be no problem. Just swap the SIM cards. If they are CDMA(which I'm assuming they are since this is the Verizon sub-forum) I am afraid there is no way to do that.

thank you Jmills87,

question about jailbreaking....once this is done and i am planning on using GreenPoison..could i still reboot as normal and do any frequent Apple updates as i did before?

I do have unlimited data plan so you recomend TetherMe?, where would i get it?

Regards,

delosrec said:
thank you Jmills87,

question about jailbreaking....once this is done and i am planning on using GreenPoison..could i still reboot as normal and do any frequent Apple updates as i did before?

I do have unlimited data plan so you recomend TetherMe?, where would i get it?

Regards,

You would get it from Cydia.

Could i still do biweekly apple updates through Itunes after jailbreak process and tetherme install? would the jailbreak reset if I update from Apple? Sorry for my ignorance!!!

Last edited:
Anyone had problems jailbreaking and doing regular Apple updates after?

delosrec said:
Could i still do biweekly apple updates through Itunes after jailbreak process and tetherme install? would the jailbreak reset if I update from Apple? Sorry for my ignorance!!!

If you update your firmware through iTunes it will wipe the jailbreak. But if you just sync there will be no issue.

I'm losing my free hotspot by upgrading from a Palm Pre to 4S next week. It was sweet but the hotspot on the Palm Pre would run my battery down in 3 hours - max.

What is the battery life effect of hotspot use on an iPhone? (I'm thinking that a Mifi is in my future.)

No matter what phone you have using a HotSpot is going to drain your battery. HotSpot not only puts your 3G antenna into constant use, but you are also broadcasting that signal to the devices you are tethering(which also uses a lot of battery). Best way to tether from your phone would be via USB so that your phone is constantly recharging while it is broadcasting 3G reception.

Jmills87 said:
No matter what phone you have using a HotSpot is going to drain your battery. HotSpot not only puts your 3G antenna into constant use, but you are also broadcasting that signal to the devices you are tethering(which also uses a lot of battery). Best way to tether from your phone would be via USB so that your phone is constantly recharging while it is broadcasting 3G reception.

Màs Uno