What's new

Guess what I bought today

ardchoille

Reaction score
I was finally able to afford one and I had to have it. I spent all day setting it up and learning as much as I could. I see why Apple products are so addictive. This new Mac mini replaced my Linux laptop and my home is now pure Apple, as far as computing devices are concerned.

Attachments

• $20140603-mac-mini.jpg
    $20140603-mac-mini.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 773
I was finally able to afford one and I had to have it. I spent all day setting it up and learning as much as I could. I see why Apple products are so addictive. This new Mac mini replaced my Linux laptop and my home is now pure Apple, as far as computing devices are concerned.
I hadn't really looked at the Mac Mini as MacBooks have always suited my needs but it does look like an amazing piece of kit......But lets face it, Everything Apple makes is amazing....

But lets face it, Everything Apple makes is amazing....

Yes, I'm beginning to see that. I've owned iPads, iPods, iPhones, Apple TV's, and now a desktop Mac. I'm continually amazed at Apple products. This thing is simply amazing. It's lightening fast, has a huge hard drive - which I will likely never fill up - and the GUI is very easy on the eyes. And, I've never seen a computer on which the first-boot setup was so simple.

An hour ago I figured out how to get pictures taken on the iPhone to auto-download to iPhoto on the Mac via photo stream. I've never seen picture transfer so easy.

The only drawback; it makes me want a Macbook Pro now, so I can be more mobile. Well, I know what I want for Christmas :)

My experience with OS X; 24+ hours. I've been all over this operating system, used every single app it shipped with, and it's clear to see that a huge amount of time and thought went into every aspect of Mac OS X. The only thing that I'm not 100% happy with is the fact that Safari doesn't reveal the link target when you mouse-over an HTML link. However, that is a very minor thing that I could easily live with and I'm betting there is an easy fix if I were annoyed enough to research the issue.

Apple is a publicly traded company which controls all of the software and all of the hardware, so they have a vested interest in making sure the system works. The "walled garden" that everyone complains about is the very reason Apple products are so much better than the competition.

Thank you , Steve Jobs, I am forever in your debt.

Last edited:
I love Macs, I especially love their OS, beautiful and amazing, but I've always had a problem with them, they are overpriced for what they are. Me owning many macs and iPods and iPhones, and being a computer geek, I discovered that most other computers have much better hardware than Macs. I know one of the reasons they over price is for the developers, but the main reason is brands. But, although most people in America have apple over android phones, it's actually the other way in different parts of the world. Although macs are over priced, they are unpredictable. Apple always keeps me surprised. Even with their rotten apples, like the iMac of 2005 with the defective capacitors (which they new about before releasing), or even the Mac OS itself! I love Mac OS. I don't know what to say about Mac besides that it's both good and bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ard...how much storage do you have on your Mac mini? Just wondering, because I was looking into that before buying my MacBook Air.

The storage on my MacBook is only 128gb...so I am mindful of what I save on it.

Ard...how much storage do you have on your Mac mini? Just wondering, because I was looking into that before buying my MacBook Air.

The storage on my MacBook is only 128gb...so I am mindful of what I save on it.

This Mac mini has 500 GB of storage space on it, plenty of room to grow :)

This Mac mini has 500 GB of storage space on it, plenty of room to grow :)

That is a lot of space. With my Mac, having only 128 gb...I have to use it more as a working platform and not as a storage device. So pictures, documents, etc that I don't need go straight to my external hard drive for safe keeping.

Looks to be a very nice set up you have there. Congrats on your new purchase!

That is a lot of space. With my Mac, having only 128 gb...I have to use it more as a working platform and not as a storage device. So pictures, documents, etc that I don't need go straight to my external hard drive for safe keeping.

Looks to be a very nice set up you have there. Congrats on your new purchase!

Thanks! And, I've been told that I could swap the hard drive out for one that has 1 TB of space if I desired. The upgrade factor was one of the things that lead me to purchase this machine - I'll be upgrading the RAM to 16 GB next month. This thing is a workhorse, I'm not sure why Apple doesn't push it more than they do.

Thanks! And, I've been told that I could swap the hard drive out for one that has 1 TB of space if I desired. The upgrade factor was one of the things that lead me to purchase this machine - I'll be upgrading the RAM to 16 GB next month. This thing is a workhorse, I'm not sure why Apple doesn't push it more than they do.

That's really nice that you can add more RAM to it. I don't think that is possible with my MacBook Air, but that is ok. I have owned 2 desktops for many years. Loved the storage and processing speed for its time, however, I wanted to go a little streamlined and be able to travel with it if needed. My husband just purchased an iMac a few months ago. He loves it compared to his windows desktop. All sorts of trouble with it connecting to the internet, keyboard not working, etc. No trouble with his iMac at all! :)

PS....he has taken a few Apple iMac classes which helped him a lot. Not sure if you have an Apple Store close by, but it's worth going and checking it out.

That's really nice that you can add more RAM to it. I don't think that is possible with my MacBook Air, but that is ok. I have owned 2 desktops for many years. Loved the storage and processing speed for its time, however, I wanted to go a little streamlined and be able to travel with it if needed. My husband just purchased an iMac a few months ago. He loves it compared to his windows desktop. All sorts of trouble with it connecting to the internet, keyboard not working, etc. No trouble with his iMac at all! :)

PS....he has taken a few Apple iMac classes which helped him a lot. Not sure if you have an Apple Store close by, but it's worth going and checking it out.

Yes, there is much to be said about a company that controls all of the software and all of the hardware - this is one reason the MacBooks boot up as fast as they do. I haven't seen a single problem with this Mac mini.. and I've been throwing a lot at it.

Apple stores have classes? Didn't think of that. Yes, there is an Apple store near me, but I was unaware that they held classes, I'll look into that. Thanks for that!

Last edited:
Yes, there is much to be said about a company that controls all of the software and all of the hardware - this is one reason the MacBooks boot up as fast as they do. I haven't seen a single problem with this Mac mini.. and I've been throwing a lot at it.

Apple stores have classes? Didn't think of that. Yes, there is an Apple store near me, but I was unaware that they held classes, I'll look into that. Thanks for that!

Check this out: Apple Retail Store - Workshops