What's new

Going from iOS 4.2.8 iOS 5...

RenegadeX28

Reaction score
So I recently jumped back to my iPhone 4 and I have 4.2.8 untethered jailbreak running on it. I figured I'd try to update to a newer OS so I tried to upgrade to 5.0.1 and failed. Was told that Apple doesn't recognize that OS anymore so I can't update to it. Everytime I tried it would say that my device isn't eligible for an update. The only reason I ask about 5.0.1 is because that's the last OS that apparantly has an untethered jailbreak since 5.1 only supports a tethered jailbreak. I really want to update to iOS 5 because I like the new features. What are my options?

EDIT: Cydia lists the blobs I guess it has saved....it says 4.2.8, 4.2.10, and 5.0.1. Don't know if that helps...

Last edited:
You need to create a custom 5.0.1 firmware with redsn0w or sn0wbreeze and then you need to run TinyTSS server while restoring it so that you can bypass Apple's verification servers.

Ah, ok. Man the jailbreak scene has changed since i had the 3GS. I have to find FAQs on how to do all of that you just mentioned. I remember before the iPhone 4, it was as simple as upgrading the firmware and then running the jailbreak. Thanks for your help!

Ya, starting with iOS4 Apple started cracking down on the jailbreaking scene. They have many preventative techniques now so trying to jailbreak or downgrade is quite a pain these days.

RenegadeX28 said:
Ah, ok. Man the jailbreak scene has changed since i had the 3GS. I have to find FAQs on how to do all of that you just mentioned. I remember before the iPhone 4, it was as simple as upgrading the firmware and then running the jailbreak. Thanks for your help!

Also note that nowadays tools like iFaith, Sn0wbreeze, and redsn0w can build a custom IPSW with your SHSH blobs built into them.

That means no TSS server is needed. All that is needed is to enter PWNED DFU mode, and shift+restore to the custom IPSW. Really easy, and no matter what, you can alway just enter PWNED DFU mode and restore to that IPSW,no matter what new iOS is/is not being signed because the SHSH blobs are in the IPSW. So it's basically a firmware file you can restore to forever, even if Apple stopped signing that particular firmware.

I recommend you use iFaith or Sn0wbreeze for this. The redsn0w method is a little sketchy...but there was a recent update for redsn0w so it may work better in the latest version.

I have been using a Sn0wbreeze IPSW with my SHSH blobs, and my jailbreak is flawless.