What's new

Downgrade from IOS 5 to IOS 4.2.8?

Cycloxr

Reaction score
Is it possible to downgrade from IOS 5 to IOS 4.2.8 on Verizon IPhone 4? I've upgraded from 4.2.8 to 5 and it seems very unstable to me after jailbreaking and would like to revert back to 4.2.8 until more bugs jailbreaking bugs have been worked out. I attempted to already to downgrade with no success. I uninstalled all itunes 10.5 related items, installed iTunes 10.4.1, put the iphone in DFU, and installed IOS 4.2.8. I tried this with both the apple version of the ispw and a custom jailbroken ispw, after the reboot they both gave the same results...when attempting to activate the phone itunes returns the error “We are unable to complete your activation at this time. Please try again later or contact customer service". I then installed itunes 10.5 again and tried to then activate it using that and still no go. Any ideas? I've tried this using tinyumbrella hoping that would solve it and even tried iREB but no luck. Is it a lost cause downgrading back to 4.2.8? P.S> I am once again running IOS 5 on it and was able to activate to make sure it wasn't an issue with the apple server.

When you make your custom firmware with sn0wbreeze go under the "general" tab and select the "hacktivate" option and then build the IPSW

that option looks to be greyed out, I can't select "Activate the Iphone (Hactivate)"

Ya, I'm not sure what I was thinking, you are on the Verizon iPhone which cannot be hacktivated because it's CDMA, you shouldnt have any activation problems just hook your phone up to your computer and open iTunes to activate it.

hmm, I'm stuck then, won't activate using itunes for some reason.