What's new

Downgrading with base band 3.0.04

supzjay

Reaction score
Here is my problem, I currently have the baseband 3.0.04 on my iphone 4 on Verizon CDMA. I am looking to downgrade my phone possible to the ios 4.2.8 version from the 5.1.1 I currently have now. On Cydia the shsh blobs that were saved are the 4.2.8, 4.2.10, 5.0.1, 5.1 and 5.1.1 which I already extracted to my computer. Since I was overjoyed that I found out my shsh blobs were saved automatically from before I searched for how to downgrade but ran into a few things I was uncertain of. I read somewhere that even though your shsh blobs might be saved, if your base band is too high and was updated to support ios 5 that downgrading it will cause all types of errors on my iphone from not being able to get any kind of cellular connection etc, etc. The baseband I have now is 3.0.04 and I was just wondering is it possible to downgrade to 4.2.8 with the 3.0.04 baseband or am I out of luck?

Once again if this has been posted in another forum here I am deeply sorry, I just didn't know how to address this certain type of issue and found no clear cut answer. Thanks once again everyone.

*I've just seen the preserve your firmware sticky with the ipsw links of all the firmwares for verizon iphone 4 cdma, is that the same thing as downgrading your base band in order for me to downgrade to 4.2.8?

Last edited:
You don't necessarily have to downgrade your baseband to downgrade to 4.2.8. Then again, iOS 5 is a much more stable and more widely supported iOS at the moment than 4.2.8 since it's quite an old iOS.

I mean its not like its an emergency that I would like to do this, but since there is an emulator I would like to use (unfortunately the support for the app on ios 5 is extremely limited and app is very buggy) which worked the best on ios 4 prior to me updating to 5.1.1, I was thinking about playing these games again thus me asking about downgrading from 5.1.1 to 4.2.8 and hopefully not experiencing any problems due to my base band number. Willerz2, do you think I would be safe?

Also since I have all my stuff uploaded to icloud, will i lose all my stuff if I downgrade like my contacts and photos?

Your baseband has nothing to do with your ability to play games. Your baseband affects your carrier capabilities. If you downgrade, you're basically installing a fresh copy of iOS onto your iPhone, meaning everything will be wiped. You have to backup everything then restore from a backup during the initial setup of your iPhone when it's connected to iTunes. Which game in particular is buggy, because if anything, just get your 5.1.1 blobs and re-restore your 4S into a clean copy of 5.1.1. Chances are it's just clashing with one of your Cydia tweaks.

I understand about the baseband and the ability to play games, I am referring to the ios 5 support. I am using psx4all emulator for playstation games and just playing any game in particular is very buggy/laggy and functions about 60% on landscape mode which sucks for me. When I was running it on ios 4, it had no problems what so ever so that is why I am contemplating downgrading to 4.2.8. I have an iphone 4 by the way, not a 4s. :)

Use to seeing 3.0.04 on the 4S. Completely forgot about the fact that CDMA iPhone 4's also have it. Sorry. If that's the case, you should be able to downgrade to it. Stitch the blobs to a clean IPSW, install it using iTunes (make sure that you have 'Set Host to Cydia' unticked, any '127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com' line removed from your host files, and maybe even add in '74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com' at the very end of your host file. Restart your computer, connect your iPhone 4, DFU it, point to the custom, wait. Then you'll be slapped with a -1 error on iTunes for installing a custom IPSW. TinyUmbrella or RedSn0w your device with a Recovery Fix, and it'll boot you out of the -1 error

Last edited:
You my friend, you are the man! Thanks a bunch! 1 more question though... if lets say I miss my dear 5.1.1, could I do the same thing, stitch the ipsw with the blobs and go right back to it or would I have to go to ios 6? :(

As long as you have the blobs for the iPhone 4, you can upgrade or downgrade as you please. That goes for any A4 devices (iPod Touches, iPhone 3, 3GS, 4, iPad 1). Have multiple copies of your SHSH blobs just in case. One on your computer, one in the Cloud and the other in a flash drive or an archived file in your email.

Yup, have all my shsh blobs saved up in my e-mail for multiple uses etc, etc :D

Thanks a lot, you have distinguished my fears and answered my questions :D

I have a problem here Willerz2, my device for some reason will not break out of the recovery mode even with tiny umbrella, it keeps resetting and going right back into the recovery mode and won't start up normally. What to do next? I cannot put my phone back into DFU mode because it will not turn off and when it does and i plug it back in, it starts up again with the itunes and usb picture. Helpppp!

Last edited:
I also noticed that i have the latest itunes version installed and that I should downgrade to an old version of itunes, preferable about 10.2 because I am stuck in a true loop that not even exit recovery on tiny umbrella could fix. I did download an old version of itunes but I get an error "i Tunes Library.itl" cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of itunes... the only thing is, I just recently reformatted my computer and I don't have an older version of the library.itl let alone an old installation of an old itunes like I did prior to reformatting. Helpppp ahhhh!!

Try the older iTunes. It shouldn't matter at all since it keeps the old logs as well as the newer ones

I tried the older itunes, and i managed to get it to open but I'm still getting the recovery loop. I even tried upgrading it back to 5.1.1 and now I get an error 11 with it... the error with 4.2.8 gave me the -1 error and the recovery loop as well. I can't do anything at all :(... i can't fix the recovery with redsn0w as it is grey out and telling me to go into DFU mode which I can't, ireb doesn't freakin work either it takes me back to the recovery loop and tiny umbrella definitely does not either :(

Couldn't restore it at all, had to download the latest itunes and restore and update the phone to ios 6. I am not trying to actually downgrade to ios 5.1.1 using redsn0w but I am having some problems as it gets to the loading screen with the apple and the download bar but redsn0w stops and says "service won't start" and then I have to restart the phone back up. *sigh*