What's new

already jailbroken on ios 5, now want to update to ios 5.0.1

imablackhat

Reaction score
topic says it all, i'm on ios 5 right now on the iphone 4 with a tethered jailbreak, i'm waiting for the ios 5.0.1 to be released as untethered before i go ahead and fully update, but when i want to update can i just use the 5.0.1 in redsn0w and rejailbreak? or how do i go about doing this, i'd like it if i could upgrade without loosing anything or changing anything.

Likely not. You need to have the version of IOS installed which you want redsn0w to jailbreak. It does not perform the install and upgrade for you.

So you will need to update to 5.0.1. The question you need to answer is when you want to do that. Since 5.0.1 has the same jailbreak avaialble to you as you have today, I don't personally see the point in delaying.

To preserve your Cydia apps and settings, look into a JB app such as PKGBackup (other backup tools are also available). You can use this and ensure that you can restore your device with the same JB tweaks and settings once you have updated the OS to 5.0.1 and jailbroken again with redsn0w.