What's new

update iphone 3gs 5.0.1 to new iOs

hotshot12345

Reaction score
I'm going crazy guys. I spent 3 hours trying to update my 3GS 5.0.1 to iOs 6 but failed. I bought the phone a few years ago when it was unlock and jailbroke with iOs 4 and update to 5.0.1 about a year ago I think but don't remember which method. Thanks for the help.

Phone info:
serial: 88002.....
modern firmware: 05.13.04
carrier 11.0

So first I tried to use sn0wbreeze 2.9.13 to do a tethered jailbreak to iOs 6 but got error 3194.

Then I used redsn0w 0.9.15b3/select IPSW/iPhone2,1_6.0_10A403_Restore/jailbreak/install cydia and ipad baseband. Everything seemed cool but after the iphone restarted, I still got 5.0.1.

Please help. Maybe it is not possible to update straight from 5.0.1 to 6?

You're getting errors because you cannot directly update to iOS 6.0... that iOS version is no longer being signed by Apple. You'll need SHSH's for 6.0 specific to your iDevice for that to work. Otherwise, 6.1.3 is your only option for updating.

You're getting errors because you cannot directly update to iOS 6.0... that iOS version is no longer being signed by Apple. You'll need SHSH's for 6.0 specific to your iDevice for that to work. Otherwise, 6.1.3 is your only option for updating.

Dang. Is it because I was out of the loop for too long and didn't keep up with the updates? I guess I can update to 6.1.3 and wait until the jailbreak is out?

Is it possible to update to maybe 5.1.1 and then keep going until 6.0?

Last edited:
Chances are there won't be a JB for 6.1.3. The Devs have stated on a couple occasions that they won't burn another exploit for this iOS version.

If you have iOS 6.0-6.1.2 blobs, you can upgrade selectively on the 3GS using the LimeRa1n exploit. This is not the case for the 4S and 5.

If you have iOS 6.0-6.1.2 blobs, you can upgrade selectively on the 3GS using the LimeRa1n exploit. This is not the case for the 4S and 5.

So can I use iFaith and download 6.0.1 blobs and continue with the update process?

Assuming you have them saved on Cydia, you'll need to either stitch a custom IPSW with the blobs then restore using iTunes or use the Restore feature in RedSn0w that does it all for you, no stitching needed.

Assuming you have them saved on Cydia, you'll need to either stitch a custom IPSW with the blobs then restore using iTunes or use the Restore feature in RedSn0w that does it all for you, no stitching needed.

I'm sorry but this doesn't make sense for me at all. Thanks

The way you use blobs is to stitch them with a clean IPSW for the iOS you want to restore to. If you use RedSn0w, you won't have to stitch it and use iTunes to restore since it'll stitch and restore at the same time.

The way you use blobs is to stitch them with a clean IPSW for the iOS you want to restore to. If you use RedSn0w, you won't have to stitch it and use iTunes to restore since it'll stitch and restore at the same time.

Can you please show me a step by step guide on how to do this? I stitched IPSW 5.1.1 with SHSH blob from Cydia of the same version but don't know what do to next. RedSn0w won't let me custom select the stitched IPSW. Thanks

Last edited:
With RedSn0w, all you need to do is use the Restore feature in Extras > Even More > Restore. The step will stitch the IPSW automatically, so you don't have to stitch it and select it. Just select the clean 5.1.1 IPSW, and Remote for your 5.1.1 blobs. If you want to use your currently stitched IPSW, connect your phone to your PC. Put it into DFU mode. Open up RedSn0w and put now put it into Pwned DFU mode. Open up iTunes, shift + click or Command + click the Restore button in iTunes, and point it to the custom IPSW that you just made.