What's new

Free iPhone Tethering Hidden In A Flashlight App

PhilSynowiec

iPhoneForums.net News Team
Reaction score
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLblYlIPY_Y[/ame]​

Okay, so this developer, Nick Lee, decided to hide a tethering feature into his flashlight app. How this got past Apple, I don't know, but it's not going to be here long. The app is called Handy Light, it is $.99, but that beats the Tethering Plan that most service carriers offer. The developer posted a full video on how to enable it and it really is pretty sneaky. I guess Apple didn't notice the extra code. Grab it while you can, or don't, and miss out just like some did on iChatr before it was taken down.

Tutorial Link(video was taken down or something so here is AppShoppers Guide)

Handy Light Is Now Removed From The App Store, Those Who Got It, Got It =]

Last edited:
This works great. as a matter of fact I am submitting this reply through the thether. Using my iPhone 4 and it worked the first try.

Last edited:
I was lucky enough to get myself a copy of the app. But I am having problems setting everything up on a laptop running windows xp. I have the network setup already. Do you know of any tutorials that will help me set up the proxy settings correctly?

WINDOWS XP/7 SETUP

[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[Originally Posted by dallasnights FROM ModMyI.com]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

1) In Windows 7, go to Control Panel and open Network and Sharing Center
2) Select "Manage wireless networks"
3) Click "Add" and select "Create an ad hoc network"
4) Enter in a Network name (make up one), choose your "Security type" (No authentication (Open) if you don't want to bother with a password, or WEP if you want to specify a password)
5) Connect the iPhone to the Ad Hoc network you created, assign it a static IP of 13.37.13.37 and Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
6) In Windows 7, go back to "Network and Sharing Center" and click on the active Ad Hoc connection to bring up the Wireless Network Connection Status window
7) Click on "Properties", highlight "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)" and then click "Properties"
8) Select the "Alternate Configuration" tab and enter in an IP address of 13.37.13.38, Subnet Mask of 255.255.255.0 and click OK. The address 13.37.13.37 should now be pingable from a command prompt.
9) Open Firefox and goto "Tools" and then "Options"
10) Select "Advanced" then "Network" and click on "Settings"
11) Select "Manual proxy configuration" and enter in, SOCKS Host: 13.37.13.37, SOCKS Port: 1337, select SOCKS v4 and click OK
12) In Firefox, type "about:config" in the address bar and click past the warning prompt
13) IMPORTANT STEP!!! Scroll down to "network.proxy.socks_remote_dns" and change this value to TRUE
14) Close Firefox
15) Open HandyLight on your iPhone and do the BRY top right corner sequence
16) Open Firefox again and you should now be able to browse

Why does this work ok in OS X without much effort and not in Windows 7 you ask? It seems that OS X will automatically forward DNS lookup queries through the SOCKS proxy. Windows doesn't work like this, at least not when using the proxy settings and you specify in IE. It seems someone else a couple posts before this got Safari to work under Windows 7, so I'm guessing Safari will automatically forward DNS lookups through the SOCKS proxy. Firefox has this capability to, but you need to mess with the about:config to turn it on. No clue how to enable this to work with IE, and Chrome is pretty much screwed as a result since it uses the proxy settings you specify in IE. I'm sure someone can figure it out to get all browsers to work.

----------------
1.Set up an ad hoc Wi-Fi network on your computer (network name and password requirement are not important).

2.Connect to the Wi-Fi network you just created on your iPhone through the Settings/Wi-Fi menu.

3.Tap on the blue arrow to the right of the selected Wi-Fi network, click Static in the IP Address menu and enter the following IP address and chuckle at its geek quotient: 13.37.13.37

4.Next, enter 255.255.255.0 in the Subnet Mask field.

5.Back out of the Settings menu to ensure these settings are saved (though hitting the Home button right away shouldn’t change them).

6.Manually set the IP for your laptop's adapter to something in the 13.37.13.xx range (xx = any number 0-255 except 37) and set subnet mask to 255.0.0.0. To do this Go to control panel, Network and Internet, then the Network and Sharing Center. On the left side click on Change adapter settings. When the window pops up, find your wireless network adapter there. Right click it and choose properties. Find the line that says Internet Protocol version 4 and double click it. Change the settings here from Obtain auto to "Use the following IP address." Fill in IP address (13.37.13.38 for example) and subnet mask 255.0.0.0. Leave the rest blank and click ok.

7.Go back to your iPhone and open the Handy Light app and tap the flashlight colors at the bottom in the following sequence: blue, yellow, red. Then tap the top right corner of the screen and the color should change to purple. Your iPhone is now capable of sharing its internet connection with the computer you set up.

8.Leave the app open and go to your computer and start browsing. As the video describes, we found that it took a few seconds for the connection to kick in but then it worked like a charm. Though many variables affect network speed tests, a quick test using Speedtest.net yielded 3.92 Mb/s down and 0.38 Mb/s up while tethered to our iPhone 4 through Handy Light.

Last edited:
I was extra pissed to find out that it was gone before I tried to get it. I saw it on engadget, but I had to set up an Itunes account first. By then it was gone! Good stuff for everyone who got it though!

Damn, the one night I go out and I miss a sweet deal like that!

I missed it as well :(

Here's another video of it in action..

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwwWlvCJuMk[/ame]

Can anyone name that song in the background?

haha thats amazing, very good coders there and how it got passed apple is funny.. ichatr? another one that got passed apple? sounds like apple just press accept to anything with out really checking it, just a quick open and not actually looking at it, but they get so many apps i bet per day

I wonder if Nick would make his source code for using the iphone as a socks proxy server public? I'm an apple developer (via $99, I have no real coding experience) and I wonder if I could use his source code to "test" it on my iphone?

Anyone know if this would work?

Thanks

I wonder if Nick would make his source code for using the iphone as a socks proxy server public? I'm an apple developer (via $99, I have no real coding experience) and I wonder if I could use his source code to "test" it on my iphone?

Anyone know if this would work?

Thanks

there are some applications like gamesalad for example that make the game/app for you with out any coding experience, that why i did not pay the 99 dollars to be a full dev and download the sdk, i have no knowledge of coding. will take some time to learn how. am too lazy also lol

redboy that is a great idea in theory. I hope it works.