What's new

Setting up Flashlight on an iPhone 13 SE

No. I purchased it directly from Apple last year May and I haven't done anything but add, delete and move around apps and websites.

@carolineM -- Since I said it works via Shortcuts, then low power mode must not be on. And looking, it's not.

Have a support appt scheduled for Monday morning.

Last edited:
No. I purchased it directly from Apple last year May and I haven't done anything but add, delete and move around apps and websites.

@carolineM -- Since I said it works via Shortcuts, then low power mode must not be on. And looking, it's not.

Have a support appt scheduled for later this morning.
Hope you will let us know outcome.

Had a short call with Apple Support. Everything I read had said to swipe down from the top, but that takes me back to the opening screen where there's no flashlight icon. Instead, on my first apps screen the rep had me swipe up from the bottom, which brings up the Control Center with the flashlight (torch) among the choices. I was so surprised (and pleased) that I forgot to ask why the flashlight icon is not on the home screen.

Nonetheless, one can do the same swipe up from there, without having to ID first. Still, with the SE3 is the flashlight supposed to be on the home screen? If so, there anyway to get it there?

The flashlight is not supposed to appear on the home screen.

When you create a shortcut, you can add a widget to the home screen.
In the Shortcuts app, tap the + at the top right, select “Add Action” and enter “Torch” in the search bar. Tap “Set Torch”.
IMG_0120.jpeg

Choose “Torch”, tap”Turn” and change it to “Toggle”.
IMG_0121.jpeg

Then tap the i at the the bottom, and select “Add to Home Screen”.
IMG_0122.jpeg

Rename the shortcut and add a photo, so that you know which shortcut it is. Tap “Add” to get it to the Home Screen.

Just tap the icon to turn the flashlight on/off.

Let's start with the Shortcuts app. Apple says it's in the Widgets gallery, but it's not on mine. Btw, I'm in the States, so will be looking for flashlight, not torch.

The Shortcuts app is somewhere on one of your home screens, or in a folder you’ve created. You can search for it. On one of your home screens, swipe down and enter “shortcuts” in the search bar. The app icon looks like this:
IMG_0123.jpeg

Thank you, I got it (I had to get Shortcuts from the App store). However, my mistaken terminology: I was actually aiming for the flashlight icon to be on the Lock screen. From what I read — and was suggested by caroline in this thread — it should be in the left lower corner by default (starting with iOS 15). It’s not there on my SE3, iOS 16.5.1.

One of my close relatives also owns an iPhone SE3. I’ve just checked, and the flashlight isn’t there either. I’ve read that devices with a Home button don’t have that icon on the look screen.

One of my close relatives also owns an iPhone SE3. I’ve just checked, and the flashlight isn’t there either. I’ve read that devices with a Home button don’t have that icon on the look screen.

I just tried my old iPhone 8Plus and it’s the same. The camera icon is also not there, you swipe to the left to open the camera on the Lock Screen.

I asked... I spoke very directly to your reply. See screenshot.
Your image shows the flashlight option.
I asked... I spoke very directly to your reply. See screenshot.
it’s not on your Control Center screen? It should be. It is on my SE 3rd generation. But it’s not on the Lock Screen. I don’t think it’s supposed to be on the Lock Screen. Have you tried tapping the red - to remove it. Then adding it back?

I’ve had this flashlight app on my home screen since 2012. I really like it. It’s also on the SE . You might try it.

I guess you have already figured it out already, but have you tried using "Hey Siri, turn on my flashlight"?
I have not tried Siri for that, but she has found the GDP of the U.S. for me, so she should be able to turn on a flashlight.

I guess you have already figured it out already, but have you tried using "Hey Siri, turn on my flashlight"?
I have not tried Siri for that, but she has found the GDP of the U.S. for me, so she should be able to turn on a flashlight.

Siri is not my type.