What's new

Setting up Flashlight on an iPhone 13 SE

highstream

Reaction score
I've never had need to use the flashlight on my SE, but decided to learn how to this morning just in case. My question is, How? Before you rip off a quick answer, please note the following: The problem I'm having is that the standard methods of doing so, such as show via Apple Support (Turn the flashlight on or off on your iPhone or iPad Pro) and a couple of other sites, don't jibe with what I'm seeing here (note: I don't use Siri). That is, the screens they show have a flashlight icon somewhere, but mine do not, except in Settings > Control Center. Tapping on the flashlight icon and other symbols there doesn't do anything but ask if I want to remove it. The only way I found that worked was to add Shortcuts app to my Home Screen and add Flashlight there. But after turning it on, I couldn't find way to turn it off except by powering down. Obviously, there must be a better way to set it up. Thanks,

Welcome to iPhone Forums!

If you can‘t find the flashlight in your Control Centre, go to the Settings app, select Control Centre, and make sure you find “Torch“ like this:
IMG_0109.png

If it’s not up there, swipe down to to “More Controls”, and tap the + there to add it to the Control Centre.
You should find the Flashlight afterwards.

Hope that helps.

I asked... I spoke very directly to your reply. See screenshot.

Attachments

• iphone 13SE Control Center screen.JPG
    iphone 13SE Control Center screen.JPG
    12.7 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
There’s another way to set it up:
In Settings - Accessibility - Touch enable Back tap, and select Torch/Flashlight for the double or triple tap. When you tap the back of your device twice or three times, you can turn it on or off.

So you don’t find the icon in Control Centre?

My iPhone is installed in a folio with a surrounding tight case, so can't back tap. Thanks, though.

No, not in Control Center, Home Screen or anywhere else. That's why I wrote that what I'm seeing doesn't jibe with what the various instructional sites show.

Btw, I mentioned using Shortcuts. It shows Set Flashlight. Tapping on that turns it on, but then how do I turn it off, short of powering down?

My iPhone is installed in a folio with a surrounding tight case, so can't back tap. Thanks, though.

No, not in Control Center, Home Screen or anywhere else. That's why I wrote that what I'm seeing doesn't jibe with what the various instructional sites show.

Btw, I mentioned using Shortcuts. It shows Set Flashlight. Tapping on that turns it on, but then how do I turn it off, short of powering down?
Have you by any chance got Flash turned on for your camera ? This will stop th Flashlight/Torch from working.

Have you by any chance got Flash turned on for your camera ? This will stop th Flashlight/Torch from working.
No. I take a few photos twice a week for a job and have never seen any flash. In fact, I didn't even know how to turn it on until your reply, so thanks.

No. I take a few photos twice a week for a job and have never seen any flash. In fact, I didn't even know how to turn it on until your reply, so thanks.
Sorry that wasn’t the answer.

I've never had need to use the flashlight on my SE, but decided to learn how to this morning just in case. My question is, How? Before you rip off a quick answer, please note the following: The problem I'm having is that the standard methods of doing so, such as show via Apple Support (Turn the flashlight on or off on your iPhone or iPad Pro) and a couple of other sites, don't jibe with what I'm seeing here (note: I don't use Siri). That is, the screens they show have a flashlight icon somewhere, but mine do not, except in Settings > Control Center. Tapping on the flashlight icon and other symbols there doesn't do anything but ask if I want to remove it. The only way I found that worked was to add Shortcuts app to my Home Screen and add Flashlight there. But after turning it on, I couldn't find way to turn it off except by powering down. Obviously, there must be a better way to set it up. Thanks,
The iPhone SE should have a Torch button on the bottom left of the screen when it is woken up. Have you not got this?

If it was there, why would I have started a thread and written that all the standard instructions aren't jibing with what I see? But just so you're satisfied, see the photo.

Attachments

• iPhone home screen.JPG
    iPhone home screen.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 19
If it was there, why would I have started a thread and written that all the standard instructions aren't jibing with what I see? But just so you're satisfied, see the photo.
Which model exactly is your phone? There is no iPhone 13 SE, so i assumed you meant 3rd generation SE.

I call it that because it was part of the 13 release and to distinguish from previous SE's. So yes, 3rd gen.

Is your iPhone jailbroken?
I’m asking because there is no official way to remove the flashlight and camera buttons from the Lock Screen.