What's new

Enlighten me.

Chris951

Reaction score
Why does my phone get better battery life when it's jailbroken? I restored last night and didn't jailbreak and battery life is terrible like it used to be before I jailbroke it. I don't really care for jailbreaking because I'm not into the customization aspect of it.. But I'm probably gonna jailbreak again just because the battery life was so much better lol

Sent from my cellular device

When you restored last night, did you restore from backup or set up as a brand new device?

Restoring a previous backup can sometimes introduce problems. An old, incorrect, or incompatible, configuration file can cause panics in the OS which drain the battery.

If everything is similarly configured and you are not running too many jailbreak tweaks, the battery performance of a jailbroken device should be broadly comparable to a non-jailbroken device. You certainly should not see a massive difference between them. Normally, you might expect a slight worsening of battery life (sometimes not even noticeable), because jailbreak tweaks tend to be demons running under mobile substrate and are therefore, by their very nature, constantly consuming resources which a non-jailbroken device is not. But provided the tweaks are all well behaving, the difference should be negligible since mobile substrate is mature and well developed.

A huge difference, particularly if you are seeing a big drain when non-jailbroken, indicates that something is corrupt or incompatible on the current installation. As I say, that's normally attributable to something bad being restored from a backup...

If you haven't already, just restore and set up as a new device. Alternatively, just jailbreak the thing and do nothing else. If you feel it improves your battery life, then why not do it! :D

Last edited:
It was restored as new. I never restore from a backup. It's just weird how when I jailbreak it the battery life improves lol

Sent from my cellular device

Well, it defies all logic and certainly goes against all my experience for the last 5 years, but if simply jailbreaking the device significantly improves your battery life, go for it!