What's new

Downgrading from 4.3.4 to 4.3.3

Yes, the "hosts" file doesn't show though. All the other files do though

If you are on windows, have you enable hidden files in your computer?

I just checked. The hidden files are definitely enabled. This is what I still see when I open up the folder "etc"

Imhosts.sam
networks
protocol
services
tmvsthfud.bin

I just checked. The hidden files are definitely enabled. This is what I still see when I open up the folder "etc"

Imhosts.sam
networks
protocol
services
tmvsthfud.bin

Then you have a major trouble. I will uninstall and reinstall the latest iTunes if I was in your position.

Imhosts.sam
networks
protocol
services
tmvsthfud.bin

I don't think your following the directory correctly.

C:Windows/System32/drivers/etc

C: is the hard drive that you installed iTunes on. If you've have multiple hard drives then I'd could be called D: , E: and so on.

Form memory once you get into the system32 folder there is a couple folders similar to drivers. Make sure you pick the folder named "drivers" exactly...

Then you have a major trouble. I will uninstall and reinstall the latest iTunes if I was in your position.
I have 4.3.4 so I should uninstall then install? How do I even do that?

I don't think your following the directory correctly.

C:Windows/System32/drivers/etc

C: is the hard drive that you installed iTunes on. If you've have multiple hard drives then I'd could be called D: , E: and so on.

Form memory once you get into the system32 folder there is a couple folders similar to drivers. Make sure you pick the folder named "drivers" exactly..
Trust me I followed the directory exactly how it was mentioned.

Where did you install iTunes to? Have you tried searching for it?

It's perhaps easier to do what bab suggested...

Couple of things...

First the "hosts" file is an integral component of the Operating System (Windows, OSX, Linux, etc. all use a hosts file). It has nothing to do with iTunes specifically. It will not be created by uninstalling / reinstalling iTunes.

Second, if you don't have a hosts file, this is not a big problem. Just create one. It is a simple text file without a file extension.
You only need a hosts file if you are specifically going to redirect a host to another IP address, as we often do with gs.apple.com, but it is not required under normal circumstances.

So if you want to redirect your hosts to Cydia, then create a text file called "hosts" in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\, with a single entry in it as follows:

74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com

Job done.

You should definitely follow the guide posted by Gaz6076, and don't forget the instruction at the end of the guide if you find yourself in a recovery loop.

Last edited:
Couple of things...

First the "hosts" file is an integral component of the Operating System (Windows, OSX, Linux, etc. all use a hosts file). It has nothing to do with iTunes specifically. It will not be created by uninstalling / reinstalling iTunes.

Second, if you don't have a hosts file, this is not a big problem. Just create one. It is a simple text file without a file extension.
You only need a hosts file if you are specifically going to redirect a host to another IP address, as we often do with gs.apple.com, but it is not required under normal circumstances.

So if you want to redirect your hosts to Cydia, then create a text file called "hosts" in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\, with a single entry in it as follows:

74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com

Job done.

You should definitely follow the guide posted by Gaz6076, and don't forget the instruction at the end of the guide if you find yourself in a recovery loop.
Thanks I'll try that now.

I uninstalled/installed Itunes..didn't do much.

Nope, still can't downgrade the iphone.. I did the hosts file and everything. After restore it doesn't give me option to choose a firmware... it does a factory restore then gives me this option :

1) Set up as a new Iphone
2) Restore from the backup of (gives me an older date)

RadioNatin said:
Nope, still can't downgrade the iphone.. I did the hosts file and everything. After restore it doesn't give me option to choose a firmware... it does a factory restore then gives me this option :

1) Set up as a new Iphone
2) Restore from the backup of (gives me an older date)

You must hold the shift key down (option key on Mac) when you click restore in iTunes. This is the only way you will be given the choice to choose the firmware file.