What's new

Do I really need screen protector?

Poisonivy said:
i like the fact that i can rub away at the smudges and know i'm not scratching my screen,i know its very tough but even diamonds will scratch.

Actually diamonds cannot be scratched except by another diamond or a harder material (yes those exist but are not everyday)
I don't mind people buying whatever they want but I don't think we need misinformation to justify spending money on a product that costs pennies to produce and has a 5000 % profit margin. It's easy to do the math.
I don't want to P on anyone's parade, but if we want to be rational we need facts presented on this topic to balance all the people enthused because they are making a huge profit or because of cognitive dissonance.

There are videos on YouTube showing just how tough the gorilla glass is.

If you know all that and still want to purchase a thin piece of plastic to cover your screen then go for it.

Sand will scratch glass. Just take a look at your windshield on your car for example. Yes the glass on the phone is different. It can still get scratches. If you don't like or approve of screen protectors then so be it. If you do. Enjoy the piece of mind it comes with. :)

zphone said:
Actually diamonds cannot be scratched except by another diamond or a harder material (yes those exist but are not everyday)
I don't mind people buying whatever they want but I don't think we need misinformation to justify spending money on a product that costs pennies to produce and has a 5000 % profit margin. It's easy to do the math.
I believe Ivy misrepresented there.... I'm certain she meant that diamonds can scratch your screen. Not that diamonds could be scratched. :)

Well I am new here but not to my iPhones! I think the major question is not will the glass get scratched or will the phone get broken but how not to get the screen scratched and not to drop the phone in the first place. If you value this beautiful piece of work then don't put it in your back pocket, don't put anything in your pocket with the phone, and learn not to drop it! I dropped my first one a lot but since have learned how to take care of it. To the windshield remark, I don't think any of us strap our phones to the outside of the car with windshield wipers rubbing back and forth over the screen. And I doubt sand is ever an issue on your screen unless your profession is sandblaster. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

I was using the windshield as an example. And you don't need to be a sandblaster for dirt or sand to get on the surface of your phone and then be rubbed around by use. Some people just need it due to their profession. Others their lifestyle. Some people just don't want to use a screen protector. My main point being, glass can be scratched.

I was just poking fun. Point is of you take care of your phone something's are overkill.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

This threads become quite ridiculous.

If your willing to take the chance of scratching the screen then dont use a screen protector. If a scratch will bother you if it happens then put one on.

The gorilla glass can be scratched, THOUSANDS of people have accidentally done it. Be willing to take a chance or spend the money on a protector, that simple.

wingzfan61 said:

If your willing to take the chance of scratching the screen then dont use a screen protector. If a scratch will bother you if it happens then put one on.

The gorilla glass can be scratched, THOUSANDS of people have accidentally done it. Be willing to take a chance or spend the money on a protector, that simple.

My point exactly.

wingzfan61 said:

Nope.. Still Not getting how a piece of plastic that is about 30 times softer than glass will do too much to protect the glass from something that is about 100 times harder? Thousands of people may have scratched gorilla glass but I can assure you it was not by scratching it with sugar, fingernails or even keys in the pocket. In any of those cases I don't see how putting something that's comparatively soft could have done anything to protect the glass from getting the scratch. I just see a lot of cognitive dissonance on this thread.

Nope.. Still Not getting how a piece of plastic that is about 30 times softer than glass will do too much to protect the glass from something that is about 100 times harder? Thousands of people may have scratched gorilla glass but I can assure you it was not by scratching it with sugar, fingernails or even keys in the pocket. In any of those cases I don't see how putting something that's comparatively soft could have done anything to protect the glass from getting the scratch. I just see a lot of cognitive dissonance on this thread.

LOL! Your description actually contains the very reason why screen protectors work. And I find that pretty dang hilarious. Please study how the plastic phase of an object under pressure or friction works. Very fascinating subject matter. My boss, who used to help design nuclear power plants, spent a day teaching me about the subject. In fact he showed me how cement can flex all day long and yet never break based on that principal.

So the "cognitive dissonance" you think you are seeing is actually caused by your ignorance on the subject matter.

Oh and gorilla glass can be scratched by a key. And as soon as I can confirm my old Droid A855 has that type of glass and I no longer need it, I will demonstrate that fact just for the sheer fun of it.

I believe Ivy misrepresented there.... I'm certain she meant that diamonds can scratch your screen. Not that diamonds could be scratched. :)
yes thanks,i did mean that diamonds can scratch your screen,i wear my diamond rings most of the time and when my hands are cool they slip around and i have caught my screen,luckly i had a protector on,and before someone says how do i know then i have a girl friend who scratched her screen on her diamond stud earrings when talking on the phone.....and zphone diamonds can be damaged by everyday wear and tear,yes they are very hard but i once chipped a diamond......one more point,the iphone screen is marketed as scratch resistant not scratch proof.
• *Shatter Resistant and Scratch Resistant Screen*....taken from a run down on specs.

Last edited:
Ok, I decided to have a little fun this morning and do some lite reading on the CORNING® GORILLA® GLASS website. Now this site is owned and operated by Corning. And its sole function is to be a cheerleader and marketing device for their product.

Guess what. That site says the painfully obvious. Gorilla glass is only scratch resistant. And they even show you how to scratch it on their own website. So lets begin with some links.

CORNING® GORILLA® GLASS | CHARACTERISTICS
Damage resistance: Gorilla Glass is chemically strengthened through an ion-exchange process that creates a deep compression layer on the surface of the glass substrate. This layer acts as “armor” to reduce the introduction of flaws by end users.
"Reduce introduction of flaws" or in layman terms scratch resistant.

But lets not take their word for that, lets get them to show us EXACTLY how to scratch it! http://www.corninggorillaglass.com/sites/all/files/GG2 PI Sheet Rev b_050912.pdf

On page 2, column 2, under the section titled "Scratches are less visible" you will see an interesting set of pictures. The first picture is of regular glass and what happens when you scratch it. Pretty clear that it failed because it isn't designed, at all, to be scratch resistant.

But picture number 2 is the one that show beyond a shadow of a doubt that you can scratch Gorilla Glass 2. And here is the text from below it
Ion-Exchanged Corning Gorilla Glass 2
10 mm scratches made with 1 N force
at a constant rate of 0.4 mm/s in 45% RH.
No lateral cracks have developed.

Now lets look at that text with a really critical eye to what each part means.

10 mm is a tad larger that 3/8 of an inch.

1 N force - read this Newton (unit) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia because I don't feel like writing a white paper on it this morning. BTW my 4 month old grand daughter can apply 1 N force to a surface. It isn't a whole lot.

Constant rate of .4 mm/s is equivalent to 9.44 inches per minute. IE pretty dang slow.

45% RH = Relative humidity. Yeah, I know why they listed it but there is no way on gods green earth I am going to explain it. Lets just say you have to be very exact in your stress tests before the government will assign you patents and certifications and I will leave it at that.

BUT SKULL ONE THERE ARE ALL THESE VIDEOS ON YOUTUBE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Take a really deep breath for this one and remember to exhale as you read my response.

All the videos on YouTube are FLAWED, a complete joke and an utter waste of bandwidth.

Sadly they are all bogus. And here is why. They are not applying enough force at the speeds they are doing the demonstration. That's right folks. Because they are going too FAST, they can't scratch the glass EVER unless they raise the force applied to well over 50 to 1000 N of Force. IE the faster you go on Gorilla Glass the more force required to scratch it. It is a design characteristic and a very good one.

BTW I bet Corning is eating it up that they don't have to do any viral marketing because of all these flawed YouTube videos and of course they have no legal requirement to correct the bad information being spread. IE Corning is making bank off of other people's ignorance concerning their product and hence they can tell manufactures "go look at what the common person has to say about our product under 'their testing'". It is truly beyond hilarious.

So how do we scratch an iPhone 5 with a set of keys.

1) Put iPhone 5 without screen protector in pocket.
2) Put 4 to 6 keys on a keyring.
3) Place step 2 in the same pocket as the iPhone.
4) Fall down on pocket.

If one non-rounded edge of one key is turned towards the screen and that non-rounded edge comes into contact with the screen, and you weigh more than 100 lbs (45 Kg), which causes 444+ N force, and the contact interaction is at or less than 9.44 inches per minutes (.4 mm/s), you will scratch the screen PER Corning's own specifications. It is that simple.

Before anyone decides to refute what I have just posted be sure to show your source, your complete theory/explanation and a model that can be done to reproduce the theory/explanation. I took the time to show how and why, so should you. Life ain't fair but lets try to make it that way for once ;)