What's new

Do I really need screen protector?

Being a tradesman (I own and run a custom woodworking shop) I find it imperative to have a screen protector. Rare is the day I don't have glue, stain, paint, contact cement, wood filler, varnish, lacquer or some kind of chemical on my hands. While most (if not all) are easily cleaned off the glass - it's much more comforting to know I don't need to introduce any harsh cleansers (thinners, solvents, etc) to my phone. Okay for the glass, but I'm more worried some might penetrate through the volume buttons, on/off switch, etc. Same with my case - it has a lipped edge around the front bezel, so if I should slide it across any surface with the face down - I don't need to worry that I'll scratch either the glass or the screen protector - the raised edge of the cover is just enough to raise the phone up off the glass face (note to poster with the sugar scratches)..

While I have purchased the 3-pak standard protectors from VZW - I did get the Zagg HD protector. But, as usual, I've been procrastinating and have yet to install it. They claim it goes a long way to helping preventing the glass from breaking should the phone be dropped. Not sure if theirs offer anymore protection than the standard 3-pak versions. I have in the past purchased the "el-cheapos" from eBay - but found they release much too easily around the edges and within days are beginning to peel up. Not so with the VZW 3-pak, but I can never seem to install those without a couple of bubbles that never seem to work their way out to the edges - despite all the "squeegying (is that a word?) I have fruitlessly tried. :( On my old Droid - no big deal. But on the beautiful and professionally looking iPhone5 it just detracts from the beauty too much. Hoping the "wet" installation of the Zagg helps prevent these tiny bubbles...

I'd like to add to my (above) post: This thread reminds me of those who cover their couches at home with those ugly plastic covers. Sure - they do a great job protecting your couch (or chair) from spills, stains, rips, dog & cat hairs, etc. But in a way it kind of seems silly. You spend bucko bucks for the most beautiful furniture you can afford, and then cover and hide that beauty with a cover. So, you think - okay, it will always look brand new when I remove the cover, but meanwhile you go through daily life looking at those ugly covers and never get to appreciate the beauty for which you purchased the furniture in the first place.

Same as these phones. We applaud the manufacturers for making our newest phones so sleek, gorgeous, slim with such perfectly fitting parts. Then we immediately cover them up with (usually) not so attractive covers - for what? The person we sell it to down the road getting a "like new" phone? Sigh.. Sometimes I wonder just how upside down our worlds are.. ;) Meanwhile - I'm still covering mine under the wasted understanding that underneath all those covers, skins, screen protectors and whatnot I have a gorgeous looking cellphone that I can only envision since I'll never be running naked..

Waste of $$$$$. But feel free, it's your money.

The guy that does woodworking. Yes, I would say there is cause there. Certainly certain type of work you want to protect from splashes of paint and such. Of course splashing paint on any part of the phone isn't good, so for those people a proper case would be in order.

For me, just a waste of money.

i can still see my gorgeous phone,my protectors don't hide that,i protect mine for me,because i couldn't bear the slightest mark on it,i want it to look gorgeous until the day i get my next one.

Foil to protect the screen, and long-term handwritten will leave scratches on the screen, the entire screen looks Flower, visual effects, so it is necessary to foil stickers better film, does not affect the display

hookbill said:
Waste of $$$$$. But feel free, it's your money.

The guy that does woodworking. Yes, I would say there is cause there. Certainly certain type of work you want to protect from splashes of paint and such. Of course splashing paint on any part of the phone isn't good, so for those people a proper case would be in order.

For me, just a waste of money.

I like your way of thinking :)

Here's what I use... iVisor by Moshi.

$image-2042533218.jpg

It is quite a bit thicker, yes. The clarity is, well, ok. I noticed a difference when I first started using it. And when you put it next to another iP5 you can definitely tell a difference. However, I'm more than willing to sacrifice a bit of clarity for the level of protection it provides. I should also add that this is a quite expensive screen protector.... $25 USD. It had a lifetime warranty and is washable/reusable.

It is quite a bit thicker, yes. The clarity is, well, ok. I noticed a difference when I first started using it. And when you put it next to another iP5 you can definitely tell a difference. However, I'm more than willing to sacrifice a bit of clarity for the level of protection it provides. I should also add that this is a quite expensive screen protector.... $25 USD. It had a lifetime warranty and is washable/reusable.
i might invest in one of those,i bet theres no bubbles either.

they are about £18 here,not cheap but then it isn't a cheap phone.

I have the screen protector that comes with the OtterBox commuter case, but yesterday I changed to a different (thinner) case that wraps around the edge of the screen right where the screen protector stops and the case is making the screen protector bubble in the corners. It isn't affected anything on the screen but its driving me nuts! The OtterBox screen protectors are good though...very clear and no bubbles. I'm about to pull mine off though cause I can't fix the bubbles and I can't stand to look at them.

The way I figure it, the iPhone has a 1 year warranty, so at any point during that time I can just go to the apple store and complain about something where they'll replace it and ill have a brand new screen. And I also have a 3 year SquareTrade warranty so if anything happens after that that I just can't deal with I'll just pay my $50 deductible and be done with it.

Last edited: