What's new

Can't restore iPhone 7 from iPhone 6 backup

jclfc

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Hoping someone can help me with this really, really frustrating issue.

I have recently purchased an iPhone 7 and want to restore it from my iPhone 6 so I don't lose any data, apps, messages, photos etc.

I have backed up my phone to my Mac using the latest iTunes software; however, when I attempt to restore that backup to the 7, I get the 'not compatible or is corrupt' message.

I have tried most things that are online, including deleting the backup and doing it again, but nothing seems to work.

Both devices are running the same iOS - 10.2.1.

However, there is perhaps a small caveat to this; a couple of months back, my iPhone 6 switched itself off randomly. When I switched it back on, all of my texts and WhatsApps were missing.

I restored my WhatsApp using the app's archive funcation, but my messages never returned even though they are still showing as taking up a huge amount of space on my phone.

There's also a message threat from one individual - probably the first person to iMessage me after this happened - that permanently sits at the top of the list of messages, even if there are several newer messages from different contacts.

Other strange things to have happened include photos occasionally showing up as grey boxes in the camera roll and the phone randomly showing the spinning wheel for a couple of moments before coming back to life.

Please can someone help me with this - I am desperate to use my new device!

Remove the corrupt backup (in iTunes - Preferences - Devices), and backup your iPhone 6 once more. Then try restoring your new device from that backup.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately I have tried that and it did not work :(

Have you tried backing up to iCloud and restoring from that? However, I would strongly recommend you set up your new phone as new to avoid possibly corrupting it.