Restoring from backup?

Restoring from backup?

Miss.manson

Reaction score
Hi Guys I'm new to this forum!
I have an iPhone 4s that I Jailbroke yesterday and I'm looking to restore the phone to get rid of the jailbreak because I don't want to be jailbroken anymore. My problem is is that I've been told that when I restore I need to set up as new and that is a problem for me as I have a lot of game saves and text messages. I was also told that I can restore from a backup that was not made while jailbroken but when I plugged my phone into my Mac today it synced it so my latest backup is one that was made while jailbroken. I really need help with this. Thanks in advanced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Miss.manson said:
Hi Guys I'm new to this forum!
I have an iPhone 4s that I Jailbroke yesterday and I'm looking to restore the phone to get rid of the jailbreak because I don't want to be jailbroken anymore. My problem is is that I've been told that when I restore I need to set up as new and that is a problem for me as I have a lot of game saves and text messages. I was also told that I can restore from a backup that was not made while jailbroken but when I plugged my phone into my Mac today it synced it so my latest backup is one that was made while jailbroken. I really need help with this. Thanks in advanced.

Restoring to a backup from a jailbroken device is fine. You should have no problems.

You should setup as new when you plan on jailbreaking. Shame. You must have no idea what to do with that thing.lol. Other wise.....you would never go stock again.lol.

I had a stock none-jailbroken iPhone for 3 days, and it drove me crazy. Having to actually open the messages app to reply and compose a message, having to type out my email addresses and passwords. Having to go through my contact list before making a call to a certain contact. Not being able to quickly toggle Wifi, 3G, and 2G data with just a swipe down of notification center. Not being able to just swipe up to activate the switcher. Not being able to simply drag an app up and out of the switcher to quit it.

Those functions I have grown accustomed to, and just cannot live without any more.lol

I couldn't take it.lol.

Someone over at Macrumors told me that if I restored from backup that bits and pieces of the jailbreak would be there. Like the tweaks or something like that, so I'm highly confused.

I've had nothing but problems with jailbreaking. I'm all for it, and love the customization but It's not really stable. I've jailbroken many iDevices and they've always had issues. I mainly Jailbroke to use mms on my iPhone since I use it with h20. I also tweaked Siri a little. But I want to stick with stock because I find it more stable an reliable.

So, do you know for a fact that it would be okay to restore from backup? I don't want to lose my game saves, contacts, text messages, settings etc. Thanks!

Edit: Here is what I was told over at Macrumors:
"
<a rel="nofollow" href="http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=14409092" target="_blank">Originally Posted by miss.manson</a><br />
What would happen if I restored from a backup That was made while I was jailbroken?
<br />
Bits and pieces of jailbroken data will be restored to your non-jailbroken device. I know for sure that preference files for jailbroken apps/tweaks in /var/mobile/Library/Preferences will get restored. I do not know what, if any, problems this might cause except that if you took the device in for warranty repair, Apple techs could see those old jailbroken files and refuse to cover warranty service."

While your concern is warranted... it's my opinion from experience that the chances of having issues w/ your device after restoring from a Jailbreak are slim to none. Nor have I known anyone who's had warranty issues w/ Apple after restoring from a Jailbreak. Although, when it boils down to it... if you're truly concerned w/ warranty issues and feel that there's going to be little bits of the Jailbreak left on your device, then you're only option is to restore as a new device.

Restore in DFU mode though. Get you a clean firmware file.

While your concern is warranted... it's my opinion from experience that the chances of having issues w/ your device after restoring from a Jailbreak are slim to none. Nor have I known anyone who's had warranty issues w/ Apple after restoring from a Jailbreak. Although, when it boils down to it... if you're truly concerned w/ warranty issues and feel that there's going to be little bits of the Jailbreak left on your device, then you're only option is to restore as a new device.

I'm not really worried about it. My last post is what someone from macrumors told Me. I always restore and wipe my device before sending it to apple anyway.

Fannya24 said:
Get you a clean firmware file.

That would not matter, if she restored from a backup. The backup is stored in iTunes, not in the Ipsw. Downloading a fresh Ipsw would make no difference.

So I won't have any issues restoring to a jailbroken backup?

Miss.manson said:
So I won't have any issues restoring to a jailbroken backup?

It's possible.....but I doubt it. It's not a guarantee. It's just unlikely you won't have problems

Miss.manson said:
Hmm...What problems, if any, would they be?

Can't say.....because it depends on what you had installed from Cydia.

Latest posts

Back