What's new

Questions about restoring after jailbreak?

macpro88

Reaction score
Going to restore my iPhone 4S (VZW) back to stock 5.1.1...

Question is, if I make a backup in iTunes while jailbroken, will that mess with anything if I restore that backup on a stock 5.1.1 iphone?

THanks!

No you're good to go buddy.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

sweet, thanks man, just so I'm clear:

-make backup in itunes from jailbroken iphone
-restore iphone to stock 5.1.1 (no jailbreak)
-restore backup from itunes
-no issues
-$$$$$$$$
-??????

Thanks!

If you restore by using a backup from when your jb then these will be imported back onto your iPhone and install unused jb files which can clog up your phone..

It has always been best advised to restore as new and use a back up prior to you performing the jailbreak.

If you restore by using a backup from when your jb then these will be imported back onto your iPhone and install unused jb files which can clog up your phone..

It has always been best advised to restore as new and use a back up prior to you performing the jailbreak.

Is there a way to clean up these files afterwards?

And is this a matter of opinion and experience since I've been given answers going both ways now?

Ok sweet, thanks for the clarifications!

I omitted to say that iCloud is an alternative way to store your info negating the need for backing up to your
computer or do both !

And no you cannot clean up these files on a stock iPhone. On a jb unit a user can use ifile to change/alter files but
you must be fully aware of what the changes can do !

The "other" bar in iTunes holds the os files. When you perform a jb the software such as redsn0w moves around the
iOS files and integrates within it to allow tweaks to be allowed to work.

Hope all goes ok.

I tried this under a similar situation on my iPhone 4 and can not get the backup to take. Long story short: My friend backed it up on his computer, jailbroke it, updated to the latest Os, and tried uploading the backup but it wouldn't take. The thought was that it needed to be done on my computer/iTunes. He gave me the backup file and I tried multiple ways but could not get iTunes to recognize the backupfile; it always went to the last file before that. I performed a factory default restore and that worked fine i.e. no errors. I tried restoring with that same file and still would not take. My friend also tried on his computer but it still would not take. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited: