What's new

Iphone 4S Error 14 in Itunes whilst trying to restore to 5.1.1????

Corombo

Reaction score
Hi I have an Iphone 4S (sim free) that was running 5.0.1 and JB with Greenpoison. It has been acting weird lately so I decided to restore and upgrade to stock IPSW 5.1.1, via Itunes. It started downloading the IPSW nicely, but once started the recovery process (with nearly 10% on progress bar) it came up with the dreaded unexpected error 14!! and since then I am stuck in recovery mode with the Itunes/USB logo. tried the apple help page...useless... different USB ports, different cable, downloaded the firmware 4-5 times in case its corrupt, tried manual restore (with 5.1.1), DFU mode,(All with MBP OSX Lion)..none works...I even tried on Win7 PC....still the same error Can I kick out of recovery mode back to 5.0.1, or its too late? Can I continue somehow to restore to 5.1.1? my stuff is all backed-up so I don't care if I loose all on the device..All I want is to go back to original factory settings (no JB) on 5.0.1 or 5.1.1..Plz HELP!! Cheers

Corombo said:
Hi I have an Iphone 4S (sim free) that was running 5.0.1 and JB with Greenpoison. It has been acting weird lately so I decided to restore and upgrade to stock IPSW 5.1.1, via Itunes. It started downloading the IPSW nicely, but once started the recovery process (with nearly 10% on progress bar) it came up with the dreaded unexpected error 14!! and since then I am stuck in recovery mode with the Itunes/USB logo. tried the apple help page...useless... different USB ports, different cable, downloaded the firmware 4-5 times in case its corrupt, tried manual restore (with 5.1.1), DFU mode,(All with MBP OSX Lion)..none works...I even tried on Win7 PC....still the same error Can I kick out of recovery mode back to 5.0.1, or its too late? Can I continue somehow to restore to 5.1.1? my stuff is all backed-up so I don't care if I loose all on the device..All I want is to go back to original factory settings (no JB) on 5.0.1 or 5.1.1..Plz HELP!! Cheers

Make sure your host file is unmodified. If it change it back, and never change it again.

Download the 5.1.1 iPSW (for your device model) here: http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=firmware and save to desktop.

Make sure you download the iPSW from Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome.
You must never use Internet Explorer to download iPSWs. They just will not work.

Please know (which I'm sure you do but just in case)....that DFU mode and Recovery Mode are not the same.

DFU Mode: black screen. The device looks like its shut off (but it's not)

Recovery Mode: ITunes logo with USB cable.

Plug in device and enter DFU mode by completely shutting down device completely...then simultaneously holding both home and power buttons..count to 10 as soon as you start...and let go of the power button only when you get to 10..and keep holding the home button til about 7-8 seconds after you here your computer beep.

If you see "installing device driver" then don't do anything...wait til the driver is installed. nothing can be done to the device in DFU "while" the drivers are being installed.

Then do as you did before...shift+restore in iTunes and selecting the freshly downloaded 5.1.1 iPSW.

Hopefully this helps.

I know you basically did this already...but sometimes changing one or two small little things can make things work.

Thx for the prompt reply...I shall give it a go following your instructions to the fine detail

I have a MBP and have been using safari for IPSW download..will try with Chrome this timeHost file: you mean the "gs.apple.com" line? was never there in the host file at all...

just couple of clarifications:
1) host file:you mean the" gs.apple.com" line? was never in my host file
2) when I put my phone in DFU whilst connected to the MBP; I never hear a beep..but iTunes detect the phone in recovery mode (and the iPhone screen is all black) is this correct?
Cheers

Corombo said:
Thx for the prompt reply...I shall give it a go following your instructions to the fine detail

I have a MBP and have been using safari for IPSW download..will try with Chrome this timeHost file: you mean the "gs.apple.com" line? was never there in the host file at all...

just couple of clarifications:
1) host file:you mean the" gs.apple.com" line? was never in my host file
2) when I put my phone in DFU whilst connected to the MBP; I never hear a beep..but iTunes detect the phone in recovery mode (and the iPhone screen is all black) is this correct?
Cheers

1) it's does not matter what is in the host file..so long as you "never" modify it in "any" way. This is a very outdated method and never needs to be used again. If you added something to the *original* host file then delete it and change it back. If you never touched the host file then your good. Just never ever change the host file

2) it is strange that you don't here a beep but if iTunes does detect your device in recovery mode then I think that is all that matters.

Tried so many times...no luck....i am starting to think that its a hardware issue!!! :(