What's new

Battery drain using iphone 4s

Status
Not open for further replies.
NewdestinyX said:
Yeah that wouldn't make sense to me. 100% of the things we've been talking about in this thread are software-based drains on the CPU. So if the iOS5 software is loaded on an iPad 2 or an iPhone 4S it should create the same kinds of drains on the battery. Now whether an iPad 2 has a more hearty battery than an iPhone 4S - that's an entirely different question.

I don't know. All I'm saying is I really haven't noticed a difference in battery consumption on my iPad 2.

I don't really have anything besides my old droid to compare the battery life of my 4S to but so far I have not had any battery issues. I take my phone off the charger when I leave for work in the morning and it sits on my desk all day searching for service (I get poor reception in my shop) while hooked to WiFi for the 10 hours I'm at work. I use it periodically at work to check emails and such, by the time I head home it's at about 70% battery. When I get home I spend a couple hours on the Internet with it and I plug it in before bed, it usually has about 30% battery left. To me that is satisfactory considering the usage it sees on a daily basis, no complaints here.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

My 4s battery doesn't even come close to the droidx i just gave up. My Ipad last all day and then some.

Just to comment on all of this. The issue is most likely software and frankly once Apple resolves it and updates your phone then all will be happy

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

It's too early to be sure, but I think my battery life has improved since I deleted all Reminders that are triggered by "When I arrive at" and "When I leave".

I tried this after reading all the comments about battery life being possibly associated with location services.

As it turns out I can get by without this type of reminder but it's a pity to loose this iPhone feature. I'm going to keep Reminders using location off for another week then turn it back on for the next week to see the difference.

Hate to quote myself, but . . .

Could someone else who is using "When I arrive at" or "When I leave" in their Reminders try removing them and see if that makes a difference in their battery drain? I'm curious to see if I'm the only person who thinks removing them changes how long the battery lasts.

Yeah that wouldn't make sense to me. 100% of the things we've been talking about in this thread are software-based drains on the CPU. So if the iOS5 software is loaded on an iPad 2 or an iPhone 4S it should create the same kinds of drains on the battery. Now whether an iPad 2 has a more hearty battery than an iPhone 4S - that's an entirely different question.

Just a couple of things:

I put iOS 5 on my iPad 2 and have noticed NO new battery problems.

The battery in the iPad is quite a bit larger than the iPhone's battery but then it has a much larger size to hold a larger battery and a much larger screen to drain that larger battery.

Finally, iOS 5 is NOT the same on the iPhone and the iPad! Just one example among many, the iPad does NOT have Reminders that can be controlled by location ("When I arrive at" or "When I leave") which, I think, really drains the battery of the iPhone.

I just turned on location reminders and will post if it drops my battery life. So far my phone lasts quite a bit longer than my previous smartphones.

For this reason I purchased a phone cover/ battery case for extra battery. I'm not turning off any features, especially location services. That one of the biggest features, it connects with Siri, reminders, maps, and other apps that I use.

Initially my battery drained totally in about 7 hours with very little usage. I had read a suggestion to erase all content on the iphone and rather than restoring from backup (which I had originally done), setting it up as a new phone. Worked like a charm. Now my battery lasts up to three days, depending on usage, even with the battery sucking apps running in the background. So, offering this up as a suggestion.

indohs said:
Initially my battery drained totally in about 7 hours with very little usage. I had read a suggestion to erase all content on the iphone and rather than restoring from backup (which I had originally done), setting it up as a new phone. Worked like a charm. Now my battery lasts up to three days, depending on usage, even with the battery sucking apps running in the background. So, offering this up as a suggestion.

That's odd, but glad it worked. You take the phone out of the box and set it up as a new phone and it drains the battery rapidly. So you do all over again and it last more than twice as long. Can anyone else confirm this? Not saying you're not telling the truth. But I don't want to delete and reload all the stuff I have on my phone for a possibility.

p3unit32 said:
That's odd, but glad it worked. You take the phone out of the box and set it up as a new phone and it drains the battery rapidly. So you do all over again and it last more than twice as long. Can anyone else confirm this? Not saying you're not telling the truth. But I don't want to delete and reload all the stuff I have on my phone for a possibility.

I would like to know the same thing....

Yea my friend had to get his replaced already. Cost him $80 at the Apple Store which I think is ridiculous. He found a place right after called icracked that replaces them for alot cheaper. Oh well at least he wasnt as bad off as this guy
haha. I would honestly kill someone for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry I should have been more specific. I initially set up my new iPhone (previously had 3Gs) by restoring from backup in iTunes. That's when I had the terrible battery drain. So then erased all and set up as a new phone then hookedup to ITunes to bring over my contacts, tunes, etc.

Are these battery draws limited to a certain carrier or type of 4s? I have Verizon and I have not experienced fast battery draw at all. My phone lasts easily all day long. At the end of the day before I go to bed I probably have between 30 and 50 percent left. I'm not a heavy user but I do make phone calls, text message, Internet, email, and of course the iPhone forum. I'm pretty happy with the usage so far.

Are these battery draws limited to a certain carrier or type of 4s? I have Verizon and I have not experienced fast battery draw at all. My phone lasts easily all day long. At the end of the day before I go to bed I probably have between 30 and 50 percent left. I'm not a heavy user but I do make phone calls, text message, Internet, email, and of course the iPhone forum. I'm pretty happy with the usage so far.

Interesting observation. FWIW, the Apple forum has an over 200 page thread on this matter - many irate people. One poster has made the rather remarkable observation (needs to be verified) that the only people not having issues have the white 4s - although this does not explain the issue with IOS5 on other non 4s phones.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3391947?start=3060&tstart=0

Status
Not open for further replies.