What's new

iPhone 4S Battery Drain

Shanaiz

Reaction score
I have a iPhone 4S with iOS 6.1.3

My phone suddenly started to drain the battery.
I have updated it for a long time ago, so it can't be it.

I really don't know what the reason is, but in an hour it drained about 25%
And I barely used it! I barely used it and it was dead before the day was over yesterday.

I have no Exchange e-mails either.
But I have turned off and on stuff, deleted e-mail and iClouds accounts.
Hard reset it to.
Low brightness and almost no push notifications.
No programs is running and it's not turning hot either.

So what can this be?

Backup your phone, run down the battery to 5% or below and restore it, . After a restore, turn off Location System Services, and calibrate your battery at the same time while you're charging it to 100%.

But then I will get the same problem back again with things I'm backing up. Because you will back up the problem with it.
And won't I lose what I have done in games and sms's?

A fresh backup and restore is used to rule out an iOS issue, not a settings issue. If you backup your device, your save data as well as SMS are backed up as well. Or if you want more work for yourself, use iExplorer to rip the usable data off of your phone manually such as your contacts, SMS, videos, photos, etc, and manually sync them over to your phone after a restore.

Backup your phone, run down the battery to 5% or below and restore it, . After a restore, turn off Location System Services, and calibrate your battery at the same time while you're charging it to 100%.

Will it really save the batt life if we try to calibrate it? I want to give it a shot ;)

Not save per say, more like allowing your device to see what the real battery life is. My 4S has had a drain on it for quite a while now. Being that it's a replacement device, the battery was probably on about a hundred cycles or so at least before I received it, so that may be one cause. That and the previous owner probably didn't understand the battery mechanics, and would just straight charge it whenever possible instead of draining it to 5% or completely off, and charging to 100 and overcharging it by about another hour without any interruptions before unplugging the device. It's helped quite a bit.

I'd used to lose about 10% or so overnight compared to 1-2% prior to my replacement, and after calibrating it a few times, it's lessen to about 4% or so a night under the same conditions, which isn't that far off from my original 4S prior to replacement from the 1-year warranty, but then factoring in the prior owner's possible treatment to the device, then it'd balance out. If it gets to the point where I'm losing 8%+ overnight under the same conditions after calibration, I'd more than likely swap my battery out

Last edited:
Ok. How do you calibrate the battery at the same time you charging it?

Ok. How do you calibrate the battery at the same time you charging it?

Simply drain it to 5% or below, then charge it (preferably through an outlet) without interruptions to 100%, then charge it for an extra hour or so, then perform a hard reset (holding both the power and home button together) while it's plugged in. Some users say the reset is unnecessary, but generally a hard reset is recommended

Sent from my iPhone via Tapatalk

Oh, ok. I will try this. Thank you! :)

Didn't work! My phone is still draining the battery..

It takes several tries before it actually kicks in. I didn't really see a different until my 3rd or 4th calibration. If it still doesn't improve by then, you might want to get the battery replaced or possibly wait until iOS 7 and see if it's just a hiccup with your device.

Also, depending on your reception, it drains your battery immensely. At my house, on the 2nd floor, I get full bars, and if I leave my phone there, overnight, it drains about 3-4% on a good day. If I leave it overnight on the 1st floor, I can get as much as 10% with 1-2 bars of signal (or dots) since it's actively trying to grab a better signal even though it's near impossible at that part of the house.

To test it out, just put your phone on Airplane Mode overnight or for a long duration of time, and compare that to when your device is not on Airplane Mode and idle without an notifications/pushing/fetching and such

Ok. I will try it several times then. But I don't have to restore it again?

I was looking into that and the iOS 7 doesn't come before october!
Long waiting time, and I can't charge my phone ones/twice a day for so long. I will get nuts! :p

Ok. I will try it several times then. But I don't have to restore it again?

I was looking into that and the iOS 7 doesn't come before october!
Long waiting time, and I can't charge my phone ones/twice a day for so long. I will get nuts! :p

Restoring is optional.

Sent from my iPad via Tapatalk

Do you (or anyone else) know what the problem is if my iPhone doesn't find the signal?
Operative on settings is gone, and 3G option is also gone in mobile network! :O

This happend before I restored it, but it changed. Now it's back!

I think I should just throw the phone out the window!!

If you have weak service and your phone is constantly searching for a signal...that is why your battery is draining.