What's new

Battery drain using iphone 4s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only just moved to iPhone and all of your tips are going really help me out. Thanks guys

carnage334 said:
I fully changed my IPhone 4s over night last night. Wake this morning to 100%. Opened IM Plus and skype at 8am and 9am I was down to 80%. Shut both off. Made sure may wifi and bluetooth were also both off at that point. I was now at 75% at 930am its now 11am and I have 52% battery left? Whats sucking up all that power. Its reciving work e-mails as they come in (about 10-12 emails every hour). No apps running, besides maybe e-mail... I really shouldnt have to charge my phone twice a day, im not even using the phone, it just in standby getting e-mails...

My 3gs lasted an enitre day(usual longer) with apps running and me using it through out the day to make a few calls....

Probably the email fetching, and it depends on how many accounts your fetching. My battery last much longer than yours and I have locations services running, Siri, wi-fi, and blue tooth on. But my iPhone is set to fetch email everything 30 minutes or an hour.

With all this I'll get about 7 - 8 hours with occasional conversations here and there. To alleviate this problem I purchased the Phonesuit elite case. It has a 2100 mAh battery built into the case. This will more than double your battery life, plus it can fully recharge the iPhone battery in 2 hrs.

Other wise you will have to cut off wi-fi, blue tooth, Siri, do a manual email fetch option, and may dim your screen brightness. If this doesn't help, you may have a faulty battery. Keep in mind though, the other iPhones didn't have dual core processors.

Ok last night not even airplane mode could save me from a rapid drain. Battery was at 50% when I wen't to bed with the thing on airplane mode. I thought this unit had a faulty battery until reading the article linked by Ipadnuby. Jackpot.

I'm going to try the fixes pointed out in that article and this article As iPhone 4S battery suckage spreads, fixes appear. Good to know I am not alone!

Last edited:
Ok I have a temporary fix. I had to disable calendars in the notification center. I determined this after finding the process calaccessed was using 75% of my CPU all the time. I hope that's all I have to do until a patch.

Hopefully they will fix this problem promptly. I use location services alot and would hate to constantly switch it off and on the save battery.
I haven't really had that much of an issue with my battery life but I turned off "Setting Time Zone" just to see if it makes a difference.

NewdestinyX said:
This is just ludicrous. Why in the WORLD would I want to turn off Calendar Notifications?!?! It's one of the CENTRAL features you need from your iPhone.. This is getting to be a true wild goose chase. How can it be on some phones and not others?!? And how can 'software' issues drain a battery?

That's a good question? Hopefully we'll soon fine out. 

NewdestinyX said:
This is just ludicrous. Why in the WORLD would I want to turn off Calendar Notifications?!?! It's one of the CENTRAL features you need from your iPhone.. This is getting to be a true wild goose chase. How can it be on some phones and not others?!? And how can 'software' issues drain a battery?

Same reason why some users experienced the death grip while others didn't. It's just bad luck I guess. As for the software issue it's possible because 200+ features were added to the firmware which some might be pulling more power than others.

I know it's ridiculous but it's what I had to do. Software issues can easily drain this the battery if they're using tons of CPU all the time.

It's too early to be sure, but I think my battery life has improved since I deleted all Reminders that are triggered by "When I arrive at" and "When I leave".

I tried this after reading all the comments about battery life being possibly associated with location services.

As it turns out I can get by without this type of reminder but it's a pity to loose this iPhone feature. I'm going to keep Reminders using location off for another week then turn it back on for the next week to see the difference.

Does anyone think ios5 could be the cause of the battery drain? I have noticed my iPad is draining battery too since I got ios5.

applechick said:
Does anyone think ios5 could be the cause of the battery drain? I have noticed my iPad is draining battery too since I got ios5.

There are certain features or things in the software that cause abnormal battery drainage in the iPhone. But I haven't noticed any differences in my iPad 2, and I use it nearly all day. That's whether I'm reading classroom material, an article in my Zite app, posting to this and other forums, twitter, Facebook... You name it. But that doesn't mean it doesn't happen, I read that all iOS devices are suppose to be affected by the software bug.

Status
Not open for further replies.