What's new

Bad ESN on brand new phone.

OneMarcil

Reaction score
Ho can one tell if the ESN is bad on a brand new factory sealed IPhone 4S

Sent from my 64gb iPad

[QUOTE="]

If the phone is factory sealed how can one know the ESN number.

Sent from my 64gb iPad

Take it into your carriers store and have them check serial number or ESN should be outside of box and they can tell you.

Why do some brand new iPhone 4s sealed have ESNs?

Sent from my 64gb iPad

I am guessing an esn is an american thing is it like an imei no

If its from the factory it doesnt have a bad ESN. No factory iPhones would have a bad ESN, only time you get a bad ESN is when a device has been reported lost or stolen.

Why do some brand new iPhone 4s sealed have ESNs?

All phones in the US have an ESN, whether they are iPhones or not. It is a legal requirement.

Jmills87 said:
If its from the factory it doesnt have a bad ESN. No factory iPhones would have a bad ESN, only time you get a bad ESN is when a device has been reported lost or stolen.

All phones in the US have an ESN, whether they are iPhones or not. It is a legal requirement.

[QUOTE="]

I doubt that the ones being sold on eBay are lost or stolen because eBay would not let sellers sell the bad ESN phones.

Sent from my 64gb iPad

[QUOTE="]

I doubt that the ones being sold on eBay are lost or stolen because eBay would not let sellers sell the bad ESN phones.

Sent from my 64gb iPad

Where are you going with all this? Are you trying to buy or sell one with a bad ESN? And yes, Ebay does allow phones with bad ESN's. They are supposed to disclose it, but it doesn't always happen. It can have a bad ESN also if the owner has defaulted on the account.

Last edited:
I have a friend who sold one iphone 4 with a bad esn and he told me he coudn't afford his plan nomore and let it grow for a few months and he was cut from verizon so that phone can't be used with verizon, but anybody else can flash it to another carrier that is not verizon and accepts cdma.