What's new

iPhone 4 - Bad ESN

design1994

Reaction score
I am pretty sure there must be many Bad ESN iPhone threads floating around, but I have a little different case. I am getting a absolutely brand new iPhone 4, but bad ESN, the phone has not been stolen or anything illegitimate associated with it. I am going to get it from U.S.A, it is of Sprint network, but I will need to use it in India(on Airtel network). Is there any way via which I can unlock it/flash it?

Help is much appreciated. :)
Again, the bad ESN phone doesn't means something illegitimate is associated with it, I am just on a tight budget. And would love to have it in India!
If there is nothing I can do, then I will probably tell my sibling to throw it in bin, and don't bring it to me here. :-(

Umm, can't I jailbreak it using redsnow or something? My sister has already bought it from eBay, a month, it was a surprise for me, and it was actually a bummer surprise to me when I learnt about it...

you would be better off just buying it unlocked

@design1994: What did you decide? I'm planning to buy a bad ESN iPhone 4/4S on ebay and send to India for my brother.
I heard that ESN is for CDMA phones. If it is unlocked, since iPhone 4S has also the SIM slot we can still use it with GSM carrier.

Usually if the ESN is bad it's only locked to that specific carrier not the phone so of could flash it to another carrier as long as the carrier allowed it and as long as they supported it ie. radio frequencies are the same

Umm, can't I jailbreak it using redsnow or something? My sister has already bought it from eBay, a month, it was a surprise for me, and it was actually a bummer surprise to me when I learnt about it...

If your sister bought it off ebay, you don't know if it was lost or stolen....

9 times out of 10 a bad ESN does mean it was lost or stolen or unpaid bill.

Hi i am also planning to buy i phone 4S of bad ENS from ebay can i unlock it use in india on airtel network

Yes, you can unlock and use it with any GSM carrier but the unlock is not available for now. ESN is something related to CDMA. So, you no need to worry about bad ESN if you are going to use in India with SIM card.