What's new

Attn Otterbox Defender owners -

BaronVonBeans

Reaction score
I just got mine for the 4s, but I have a few small issues and I was wondering if I could get some feedback.

Please bear with me, as I will try to describe this as best as I can. While holding the iPhone upright, in the upper left hand side of the case, in between the silence toggle and headphone port, it seems the silicone was "bent" during cooling, as this is resulting in a small gap between the silicon and the hard plastic shell on the front on the phone, in the same area. Are your Defender cases similar, iPhoneforum community?

Also, on the opposite side of the phone, but still at the top, it appears as though something was pressing on the case during cooling too, as I have hard indentations on the case, and part of it extends over the the front as well.

I purchased the case new from Amazon. It was sealed when it arrived, and I have not dropped it once. Am I being too much of a nit picker, complaining over things like that? I am tempted to send a message to their customer service, because I saw another user say his case was replaced by emailing their CS dept, stating his screen protector on the case was scratched. I just feel that for all that the case is supposed to be, it should fit snug 100% around the phone, in addition to it being free from "blemishes" when the item is brand new.

If you have the time, please let me know what you would do if you were in my situation. I also have pics, if anyone would like to see.

Thanks in advance!

Pics please. It's hard to imagine what you're talking about without seeing the case itself.

Mine does that also but i have the 4 case not the 4s case. From hwat I have heard this is the differance and if you call otterbox they will replace it if you bought the 4s case not the 4 case.

I do apologize, my first post was definitely lacking in any real info to have you all help. This one should work out better.

Pic 01 - http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee403/baronvonbeans/OtterBox/Pic01.jpg

This is the ride front side of the phone, underneath the power button. You should see the 2 large impressions, looking like they were made by fingernails, but the following pics prove otherwise. A little further down, (obscured by the "#1" actually), there is a third indent that is not noticeable in any picture I took.

Pic 02 - http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee403/baronvonbeans/OtterBox/Pic02.jpg

In this shot you can see the #1 dents much clearer, but what else is visible is a lengthy indentation on the front, directly under the yellow line I added (#2). This indent lines up with the larger indent (#1) on the right side of the case, further reinforcing my idea that something was laying on the case as the mold was cooling . #3 is the gap in between the silicon outer shell and the hard plastic underbody of the case. This is one of my main concerns, as every other corner is secured. #4 is a little bubbling up of the silicone case, no matter how much I try to "seat" it in the plastic case. This could be a result of #3 though.

Pic 03 - http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee403/baronvonbeans/OtterBox/Pic03.jpg

#2 is the line connecting to the side indentations. #3 is a front shot of the gap between the silicon and the case. #4 again is the "bump"

I know that the gap (#3) could possibly be caused by having the two flaps for silence toggle and headphones lessen the overall integrity of the case around the corners, but the space looks a little much...

So..am I just nit picking, or should my case not look like this?

Does your case look similar to any of my so called "issues"?

Last edited:
Mine does that also but i have the 4 case not the 4s case. From hwat I have heard this is the differance and if you call otterbox they will replace it if you bought the 4s case not the 4 case.

Thanks, I will look into that. In the meantime, is there anyone else that has a Defender series case for their 4s? The one designed for the 4s?

i have the defender series for the 4s and in the top right corner mine does have a line but no indent that is shown in the pics above. but mine definately looks way better than whats shown above

I just got mine for the 4s, but I have a few small issues and I was wondering if I could get some feedback.

Please bear with me, as I will try to describe this as best as I can. While holding the iPhone upright, in the upper left hand side of the case, in between the silence toggle and headphone port, it seems the silicone was "bent" during cooling, as this is resulting in a small gap between the silicon and the hard plastic shell on the front on the phone, in the same area. Are your Defender cases similar, iPhoneforum community?

Also, on the opposite side of the phone, but still at the top, it appears as though something was pressing on the case during cooling too, as I have hard indentations on the case, and part of it extends over the the front as well.

I purchased the case new from Amazon. It was sealed when it arrived, and I have not dropped it once. Am I being too much of a nit picker, complaining over things like that? I am tempted to send a message to their customer service, because I saw another user say his case was replaced by emailing their CS dept, stating his screen protector on the case was scratched. I just feel that for all that the case is supposed to be, it should fit snug 100% around the phone, in addition to it being free from "blemishes" when the item is brand new.

If you have the time, please let me know what you would do if you were in my situation. I also have pics, if anyone would like to see.

Thanks in advance!

Here is a picture of mine, I don't have the dents, but the gaps are definitely there, this is the new 4s case.

Have a nice day,
HiddenPuppy

Attachments

• $IMG_0109 B.jpg
    $IMG_0109 B.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 678
Send the pics to Otterbox customer service. They'll send you a replacement. My case definitely doesn't have the issues yours does.

Thanks to everyone for your responses. I will be contacting Otterbox Customer Service here soon.

With anything you get from amazon or eBay, etc... It's a bit of give and take. Sometimes they are great products, sometimes not. I would ask for a refund and get one new from otterbox(dot)com. That way you know it comes straight from the manufacturer brand new.
I'd also write a review to the person(s) you got it from letting other people know that from your experience they either lie about their products or don't check the condition of said product before passing it off as new. But I'd only do that if they disagree to the FULL refund, including s&h and any taxes.
I'm not sure if otterbox will offer a refund since you didn't get it from there. But I'd check anyway.

Good luck.

Btw, I'd stick to the otterbox. I have the defender series for the iPhone 4, which they work the same I'm sure. I'm a very clumsy person. I've dropped my phone from 4 1/2 ft. Otterbox got a little dirty (which came clean).
My daughter also has the defender series for her iPod touch. She's had it since she was 3 1/2 yrs old. She just turned 4 this month. My other daughter (2yrs old) also plays with it. The iPod is still in the same cond it was in when we first got it. The front gets dirty sometimes. What I'm saying is, anything that can survive a 2 yr old and a 3 yr old is wonderful.
I wouldn't recommend anything other than otterbox.

No I don't work for otterbox or anything of the sort lol!!!

Send the pics to Otterbox customer service. They'll send you a replacement. My case definitely doesn't have the issues yours does.
Thanks for the advice, did as you said and otterbox was great, sent out a brand new 4s defender case. Sad thing is that it is not much better than the other one. One thing I noticed for both cases is that all around the plastic part there is a little "rail" "ridge" that lets the silicon hold on. At the top corners there is not this "rail" "ridge" so there is really nothing for it to hold to and it moves and stretches.Very happy with otterbox customer service, not to happy with the case...***Moderator Edit: No Advertising of Personal Items for Sale***..Have a good day,HiddenPuppy

Last edited by a moderator:
It's too bad - I got mine from the ATT store, but they had them at Best Buy in town also. You can open the box to make sure they are in good shape, mine fits great (4S) and really protects the phone

It's not so bad, really. I contacted their customer service, and they sent me out a new case no problem. The new case is almost perfect, but the door over the silence switch doesn't close all the way :-(

Friend of mine ordered the black and white case for his 4, and it's perfect. Everything is flush with everything, and it just looks awesome. I'm going to try another color case in the future...on my original damaged case, the silicon is tearing, and I don't have high hopes for my other, new, but imperfect case.

Otterbox customer service is the best though, very willing to help and quick to respond. Definitely made me a customer for life. Thanks to them, and everyone here that responded!

Last edited:
A friend just got the black Defender - it fits well too, no quality issues either