What's new

New otterbox defender 4s

mtcooley

Reaction score
I have been looking at purchasing a new defender case for the 4s. I read that the silicon skin is stiffer than the previous models. If you have one does the port covers stay in place better with the new silicon. Also does lint get into the case with the larger openings in the case.

I have been looking at purchasing a new defender case for the 4s. I read that the silicon skin is stiffer than the previous models. If you have one does the port covers stay in place better with the new silicon. Also does lint get into the case with the larger openings in the case.

I have had both and I can promise you that the new one for the 4s is really better. I did not like the previous as it moved too much and got really dirty, the new one is not that way at all. Defenitely an improvement.

Hope that this helps,
HiddenPuppy

Last edited:
I bought a new Defender for my i4 today and yes, the skin is much stiffer. Both the case and the covers are tighter fitting also and therefore a little harder to install. But I like it and recommend it.

I think the original worked just fine if installed with care and not stretched. The covers on mine always stayed closed, but I made sure the lips of the covers were tucked in properly.

bc

I have the new 4s defender otterbox case and I really like it 100% better than the iPhone 4 defender case.

My Defender has been awesome. I have dropped my phone a few times and have been glad that that case was around it. All the port covers stay nice and tight. Sometimes they can take a sec to get in place but Id rather that be the case.

The only thing/s I don't like about the new Defender version is it doesn't offer as much protection as the older version in in the front facing camera/ proximity sensor area and back camera/flash area. It just 'feels and seems' like less protection.

However the 'skin' is better and the Defender feels more slim than the previous version.

I feel more confident if it's drizzling outside that the older version will protect better because of the front camera/proximity sensor and rear camera/flash protection. The new version is opened and can be accessible to water damage than the older version.

Last edited:
How much bulk does the Defender add to the phone? Will it still fit in docks, etc?

How much bulk does the Defender add to the phone? Will it still fit in docks, etc?

It adds a lot of bulk. Kinda ruins the look of the phone IMO. Doesnt fit in docks. At least not ones I have tried. Could always buy a dock extender if this is the deal breaker for you.

yes, the defender case is GOOD and drop proof, I like it, and some even very cute.

Personally I like the otter box and how it protect the iPhone I just dislike how big it makes your phone look lol.

I use ALL the available cases Otterbox has for the 4s. I really like the Commuter and thought it was the only cases for me. Now I've got a Defender and it's my new fave. I'm not an iPhone poseur. It surprises me how many people I see using their iPhones without cases. I want to keep mine safe.

Yes, it adds some bulk, but it does what it's advertised to do. If I want less bulk, I'll put on my Commuter, or my Speck Pixel HD, or my Vaja (the list goes on).

Otterbox is a great case designer.