What's new

Are you still having trouble with the antenna in iPhone 4?

mach

Reaction score
Hi all,

I own an iPhone 4 for almost a year now and sometimes I experience problems with the call I make or receive. I just lately upgraded to the latest iOS as I read and heard from a friend that Apple means it has improved the antenna quality with their latest firmware. But I experience the opposite, the problem has got worse and I was wondering if there are others who are having the same problem.

I know that one need to hold it a slightly different in order not to interfere the antenna, as it has been shown several times before.

Anyone have a clue on how to minimize this problem?

thanks in advance

Well I never had this problem. I have been using iPhone for the past one year and I never had any problem like that. I guess there might be some problem in the transmitter. It happens when the gadget falls down. The transmitter may get problem when it fells down even in its packing.

All iPhone 4 had an antenna problem - but your ability to detect it or not was different depending on the cell tower relative strength in your area. You can test it on any iPhone 4 by taking off your case and laying it on a table and look how many bars of signal you have. Then pick it up and hold in your hand wrapping your hand around the middle on both sides. Look at the bars in 5 seconds - they'll drop by 1 bar in 95% of cases unless you're sitting under a cell tower. :). Apple just settled a 10million dollar class action suit over this defect in that phone. The antenna position in the iPhone 4S was changed precisely because of this poor design flaw in the 4.

But firmware updates would never affect it. You're problem is not antenna related. What one software upgrade did in iOS4 was to fix the readout of the bars of power as they were showing an artificial high reading before the fix. So after that update it would look like you were getting less bars of power in the same place - but the "newer" reading was the more accurate. And "still" the "death grip" on an iPhone 4 would result in an even lower readout of bars after the upgrade.

It was a great phone except for that one design flaw.

Take it to apple ... That's not commen IMO :-( I'm sorry!!i have 4bars right now And never a problem:-(

I heard about that, hmm I never noticed a thing lol i thought it was over and done with lmao
I gave my iphone4 to daughter now w 4S

I need to tell my brother, sister and her fiancé about the antenna problem on the 4. All three have the 4 even though I told my sister to go with the 4s.

Did Apple fix this problem on the 4?

Sent from my iPhone 4S us

horsehaulin said:
I need to tell my brother, sister and her fiancé about the antenna problem on the 4. All three have the 4 even though I told my sister to go with the 4s.

Did Apple fix this problem on the 4?

Apple had a free case program back in 2010.
The "Antenna problem" only seems to affect people in lower signal areas.
I've never experienced the "Death grip", but I've heard of people who have.

Just stick a case on the iPhone 4 and your problem will be solved. I don't use a case, but then again, I've never experienced the antenna problem. :)

All of their phones are 2011 and newer, should they be worried? If not, I won't bother telling them.

horsehaulin said:
All of their phones are 2011 and newer, should they be worried? If not, I won't bother telling them.

All iPhone 4 has the antenna issue. If you are really close to the tower it may not happen as much. I have had my iPhone 4 from new about 6 months ago and the death grip makes me loose all my signal which is a nightmare when writing a txt. I put a bumper case on it off eBay and I have no issue anymore.

All iPhone 4 has the antenna issue. If you are really close to the tower it may not happen as much. I have had my iPhone 4 from new about 6 months ago and the death grip makes me loose all my signal which is a nightmare when writing a txt. I put a bumper case on it off eBay and I have no issue anymore.

Exactly. As I said the iPhone 4, all of them, had the design flaw. Even the new ones sold now. You don't get an antenna redesign until the 4s. Which proves there was a problem with the 4 design otherwise they wouldn't have redesigned it in 4S. But different people may not experience a problem with their 4 if you're near strong towers.

Well its interesting to read that ppl have various views about the antenna issue with iPhone 4. I personally have problems with the antenna once in a while and I don't think it has to do with distance from a tower as I live in a big city. And I have also kept my device very good and it hasn't been damaged nor felt on ground. I am pretty sure it has to do with the built in antenna, the company I bought it says its a common problem among iPhone 4 and I can get charged if I send it to the technicians as the guaranty doesn't cover this as Apple knows this problem and they haven't received any orders on how to solve this problem.

I have even tested my network by inserting the sim card ( along with an extra card holder) in a Nokia and Samsung and it seems to be no problem at all.

I have two areas near me where I regularly drop my signal as I drive thru them (using the 4S naked). If I have my Defender case on (outer part is rubber) I can drive thru the same area and have no problems.

iJoJo said:
WOW - you really do not hear about this anymore.

I never knew about it, but then again I am coming from Android. Whole other set of problems in that house.