What's new

Apple Said to Have Ordered Bigger Screen for Next iPhone

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
6047-iphone-concept-4-5-screen.JPG

According to a report in The Wall Street Journal today, Apple has ordered screens from its supply chain in Asia that are the biggest that have ever been seen on an iPhone since Apple launched it in 2007. People familiar with the situation told the WSJ that production will begin next month on the new screens, which will be at least 4 inches diagonally. This is, of course, bigger than the current iPhone 4S, which is 3.5 inches. The WSJ says that Apple wants to make the screen bigger in order to keep up with increased competition from the likes of Samsung, which has just launched its new Galaxy phone with one of the biggest smartphone screens to date, coming in at 4.8 inches. The WSJ says that the next iPhone will be out in the fall and that Apple is working with several different screen makers on this project, including LG Display, Sharp, and Japan Display, with the latter being a new company that was formed last month by three Japanese companies and the Japanese government. Apple has declined to comment on the rumours, as usual!

Source: Apple Moves Toward Larger iPhone Screens - WSJ.com
Via AppleInsider

hope thats true,a 4" screen would be perfect.

I hope they don't make it too big atm its nice you can hold the phone in your hand and easily text with one hand or use the device and reach the whole screen with out having to use both hands, but for watching media a bigger screen would be good! I am also interested to see if they keep the glass back and square shape of the phone.

I hope they don't make it too big atm its nice you can hold the phone in your hand and easily text with one hand or use the device and reach the whole screen with out having to use both hands, but for watching media a bigger screen would be good! I am also interested to see if they keep the glass back and square shape of the phone.
yes theres "rumours" of a metal back,can't wait to find out,Apple know just how to get us all going lol.

I agree about not wanting the screen to big. I had the Droid X previously and the overall device seemed to be just barely to big and it had a 4.3" screen.

I do like the glass back but wouldn't be opposed to a metal one. The only reason would be to be slightly less fragile.

I agree about not wanting the screen to big. I had the Droid X previously and the overall device seemed to be just barely to big and it had a 4.3" screen.

I do like the glass back but wouldn't be opposed to a metal one. The only reason would be to be slightly less fragile.

exactly, you don't want a brick for a phone. and a lot of people broke the glass back in the first day but mine took a beating and is like brand new still so I agree with you about being happy either way if its glass or metal or plastic even like the 3G/S

I think 4 inch would be the perfect size. Any larger than that and it would be better to just buy a tablet. IMO.

Sent from my iPhone 4S on Sprints Now Network.

I think that 4 inches is the sweet spot as far as the display is concerned. It's large enough for media display and small enough to not be considered a brick.

iPhone 4S - 16 GB/White/OtterBox Case

I hope it's at least 4”'s. I'm switching this week to a T-Mobile Sensation 4G(4.3”). It arrives Friday.

I'll probably be on the iPhone 5 by the end of the year. As long as it supports T-Mobile 3G/4G bands and has a decent sized screen.

I can't understand how people walk around with the Galaxy Note. 5" is just ridiculous. I agree with 4" being thrown sweet spot for screen size.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I'm in the minority , I like the screen size as it is, I left a evo for the iPhone 4s, the smaller size is great for me as it is easy to belt carry and operate with one hand when needed at work, I guess I will wait and see what comes out :)

I'm in the minority , I like the screen size as it is, I left a evo for the iPhone 4s, the smaller size is great for me as it is easy to belt carry and operate with one hand when needed at work, I guess I will wait and see what comes out :)

I agree with you, but I would not complain if it was slightly bigger either for streaming tv so either way is good imo :)

we will see maybe by october.. so we have a long time to wait still if another october release is in the cards for apple.