What's new

Next iPhone Said to Have 4.6-Inch Retina Display

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
4660-4-inch-iphone-concept.JPG

AppleInsider reports today on a Reuters news story, which is in turn a report on a story in South Korea’s Maeil Business Newspaper, which says that according to an anonymous industry source, Apple has decided that the next iPhone will have a 4.6-Inch Retina display, and that it could be launched as soon as Q2 of 2012. According to the unnamed source, Apple has already ordered the bigger screen from its suppliers, which are said to be based in Korea. AppleInsider says that the supplier is likely to be Samsung and/or LG, both of whom are based in Korea, and both of whom have supplied Apple with their displays in the past. Although this would be exciting news if proved to be accurate, AppleInsider says that it is in fact unlikely to be true, as this is the first time that Apple has been rumoured to be planning an iPhone with such a large screen, with previous rumours only referring to 4-inch screens (pictured).

Source: Rumor: Next-gen iPhone to feature 4.6-inch Retina Display

Of course there is no truth to this. It's another rumor. Just like all the other rumors that pop up with Apple. Keyword. Rumor.

While I would love to see a 4.6" iPhone. This is so bogus. The screen ratio on the iPhone would make this screen to large to fit in your pocket.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

There is absolutely no way that they would make that big of a jump on screen size this time. I think a 4" will happen, but not a chance in Hell for a 4.6".

I think the rumor may be true but to be used as a prototype. Not a production model. Who knows. A lot of people like the large screens. We may see it eventually.

Overheard at an Apple Marketing meeting:

Exec #1: "People are not talking about us this week. They're talking about that Draw Something game. We need to do something about it, now!!!"

Exec #2: "We can create another rumor. Let's just place a bogus order of 4.6" displays and let's see what happens. After all, we have money to burn."

i would be happy with a 4" screen,as has been said the key word is rumour,no one knows what Apple will do until its done,good fun to speculate though and see how close we get.

4" would be nice. Especially with a bump in resolution.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

iPhone has two resolution choices unless they want to introduce a new coordinate system. 960x640 or 1024x768.

I am going to guess they stick with the 960x640 since they can redefine Retina by "distance from eyes" if need be.

The current 3.5" display is 326 PPI and can be held at 10 inches from the eyes and be called Retina.

At 300 PPI the screen size works out to 3.85" and you would have to hold it around 12" from the eyes to be Retina.

At 286 PPI the screen size works out to 4" and you would have to hold it around 13.1" from the eyes to be Retina.

Compare that to the 264 PPI of the iPad (3rd Gen) needing 15" from the eyes to be Retina.