What's new

App for backing up all things Cydia

pianoman

Reaction score
If this has been discussed to death I'm sorry - please point me to the thread. I searched and haven't found it. Like many of us I want to back up all things Cydia. All downloaded tweaks, themes, sources, etc so that when the 5.1 OS comes out and after we wait for new jailbreak I want to get my phone back to where it is today after scores of hours of work and downloading. PKGBackup did NOT deliver for me. When I try to access my backups from October when I left jailbreak behind for iPhone 4s. It doesn't reload them at all. It says no data available at DropBox. Even though it shows the actual backup dates in a list to choose from.

Are there any other reliable "iTunes-like" backup restore apps for remembering all things Cydia? Where you actually did a restore and it worked after an iOS update and re-jailbreak?

XBackup, APTBackup and PKGBackup are the most common ones. I use PKGBackup all the time and it works great. Maybe your backups are stored in your contact list and not on DropBox.

Thanks, JMills. No- my backups are with DropBox. At the end of each backup of 4.3.3 the software said your backups are now done at DropBox. When I tried to reload them the software crashes immediately most times and other times says "no data found". Now many of the tweaks I had are now not ios5 compliant - so a restore may have been more problematic. But now that we're at 5 I think we'll be here thru several jailbreaks of 5x versions and I'll want to be able to get 100% restorability. I'll try one of the others. PKGBackup is in the dog house with me now. :-(

Ya, PKGBackup is only for restoring a backup made on the same firmware. You can't restore a 4.3.3 PKGBackup on iOS5 because the filesystem has changed drastically.

Ah - so you're saying that PKGBackUp is now updated for 5 and should be reliable for re-jailbreaks of any version 5 update? But then at iOS6 I'll start again?

Most likely, yes, but we won't know until we're there. Depends on how much the root file system has changed.