What's new

How to back up apps downloaded from Cydia?

KingJeet

Reaction score
How do I backup all the apps, packages and sources I downloaded from Cydia?

PkgBackup app from the Cydia store is probably the best way to backup Cydia apps.

PkgBackup app from the Cydia store is probably the best way to backup Cydia apps.

Agreed,

Unfortunatly there isnt any easy way of backing it up.. I wish there was as after a few months I allways end up with at least 30 installed packages.

Thanks, I've downloaded PkgBackup, how do I use it? checked out their site but it doesn't make any sense to me! I must be missing a step or two

Thanks, I've downloaded PkgBackup, how do I use it? checked out their site but it doesn't make any sense to me! I must be missing a step or two

It's pretty simple.

Open PkgBackup, click the settings icon in the top left corner and turn on "scan packages on startup" Sound and Vibrate are up to you. You can also set a schedule for backups here as well, otherwise just leave everything else and say ok.

Close the app and quit it from multitasking as well so it's truly closed. (I say to do this to keep it as simple as possible so when you re-open it will automatically scan your packages from here on out.)

Re-open PkgBackup and you'll see near the top under Installed packages it will say "Selected # of #".

Click Backup on the lower right of the screen.

When it's finished you can close the program.

You will now see an entry in your phone contacts list under P for pkg_(whole bunch of stuff here)
That's your backup.

Anytime you install new Cydia packages that you want to keep, run a new backup to keep the backups current. PkgBackup will keep multiple backups based on date when you made the backup, which you can view through the app. On the contact list in the phone there will always only be one entry.

Synch with iTunes so it backs up your contact list which then also backs up that new entry.
(Synch with iTunes anytime you make a new backup as well)

Should you ever need to restore the phone, when iTunes reloads your contacts that backup will be there. Then you download PkgBackup again, set restore from within PkgBackup, it will see the entry(s) from the contact list and all your packages will be restored.

That's the basics of it, hope it helps.

Last edited: