What's new

Question about backing up and restoring cydia packages

alec6542

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a few questions about the different backup options for cydia tweaks. I have been using xBackup for a little bit, but after some experimentation today I noticed that xBackup only restores in the sense it recovers any packages you may have deleted. So, assuming I am using it correctly, if you install new packages after creating a backup and then later estore to that backup, you still have all your packages you installed after your original backup. Is this correct? If so, I need to find another backup option. In particular, I want one where I can create an initial "clean" backup of all my "good" packages (such as my must-haves like Sprintomize, SBsettings, etc.). Then, if I begin to have problems with any unstable or otherwise nasty packages, I can "restore" to my intitial backup. Assuming this is even possible, are there any apps that can do this? I hear PkgBackup is more versatile than backup and works in a similar fashion to TimeMachine. Can PkgBackup do what I just described?

Also, does anyone know why the latest version of xBackup won't let you manage multiple backups anymore? Now, under "backups" in the app, its a back screen which only gives you the option of "Backup", so I assume it only saves the latest backup. Or am I missing something?

Thanks for any help!

Alec

Look at pkgbackup

I second XamDam, thats the way to go. I use that and load the backup to my dropbox, If I have to redo my phone the I can restore all the stuff at ones after the phone is reloaded and jailbreak.